Kombucha Ricotta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Today's cheese making project is intended to produce 3 cheeses. Feta, Brie, and Ricotta, all from the same pot of milk. The Feta and Brie will be treated exactly the same way until after a 24 hour air dry outside the molds, at which point the Feta will go into brine, and the Brie into my homemade "cheese cave". The whey will be used to make Whey Ricotta, and rather than adding vinegar or lemon, or souring the whey, I'll put a generous amount of kombucha right from my gallon continuous brew in to sour it.
I can see absolutely no reason not to do this................. Any thoughts?

H.W.

Did you use P. Candidum and/or rennet?

I of course used rennet, but I innoculated with kefir, which has G. Candidum in it naturally, however I brewed fresh kefir just for the job, and put rind from a Brie in it to "enhance" the kefir specifically for cheese making.

H.W.

I took a bit of an unconventional turn with my whey ricotta........... who me??? Imagine me doing something unconventional ;-) I added a small amount of kefir and mixed it in well, and allowed it to culture for 48 hours at about 60F. The result is a distinctive tangy flavor, not at all like ricotta..... which is what I was seeking. I guess I've invented a new cheese ;-)

H.W.

Back