Kombucha/NA beer and blood thinners(aspirin)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy1015

Reaction score
My wife has recently been put on aspirin so isn't really supposed to drink alcohol. I make a decent amount of kombucha and am also looking into making very low alc (<0.5%) beer with similar levels to kombucha. Anyone on here have insights or experience on drinking kombucha while on aspirin or other blood thinners?

Alcohol increases the risk of GI bleeding associated with aspirin use.

Testing kombucha for alcohol isn't exactly easy for homebrewers since there are 3 different fermentations that occur.
Your best bet is to start with a relatively low amount of sugar, and then make sure it gets exposed to lots of oxygen during the secondary fermentation so that all the alcohol gets converted to acetic acid. You can buy alcohol testing kits for breast milk if you want to be more sure that there's no alcohol.

There are a few methods for making low alcohol beer: cold extraction, heat vaporization, and arrested fermentation.

Hope this helps

Alcohol increases the risk of GI bleeding associated with aspirin use.

Testing kombucha for alcohol isn't exactly easy for homebrewers since there are 3 different fermentations that occur.
Your best bet is to start with a relatively low amount of sugar, and then make sure it gets exposed to lots of oxygen during the secondary fermentation so that all the alcohol gets converted to acetic acid. You can buy alcohol testing kits for breast milk if you want to be more sure that there's no alcohol.

There are a few methods for making low alcohol beer: cold extraction, heat vaporization, and arrested fermentation.

Hope this helps

Good thought on the test kit, I'll check into how those work

Back