Kombucha and warm ferment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kranak

Reaction score
I have a question for the Kombucha brewers. I have a friend that has made Kombucha for a little while now. She has recently said that she has been getting a lightheaded, and feeling while drinking it. I know from the beer world that fusel alcohols can be produced from fermenting too warm. Is that the case with Kombucha? Are there other factors that would lead to this change in feeling while drinking it?

Thanks,
Jeff

If she is new to KT it could be Herxheimer Reaction. Also you need to drink loads of water and start low dose induction. You do not start out drinking 4oz at a time, unless you already drink it. Does she have any alcohol sensitivity? How warm is she fermenting?

From what I know she had been drinking it for about a year up to the point of getting this hot and dizzy feeling.

And I don't know the exact temp, but I know it's hot a blazes here and room temp could be nearly 80, so a few above that I would guess.

Geez! I drink about 24 oz of kombucha a day and don't have a reaction too it. Just starting out you have to go slow so you don't detox too quick.

I should clarify that response. She drank it for about a year before getting the hot and dizzy sensation. Can the yeast/scoby change and get non beneficial bacteria?

I should clarify that response. She drank it for about a year before getting the hot and dizzy sensation. Can the yeast/scoby change and get non beneficial bacteria?

Yes there can always be changes from the original component. But you would only be able to confirm with lab analysis. The hot/dizzy sounds like an alcohol intolerance or yeast issue. Any chance she has candida problems? (Note there has NEVER been any documented case of kombucha causing candida, just saying).

Where do you guys get your "scoby"? I'm a beer brewer but really like the kombacha I've had from Whole Foods. It's waaay too expensive tho! What's the best way to get started?

I bought mine from a lady I found online. Since you're on this site, I'd say plenty of people would just send you one, myself included. You would just pay a couple bucks for shipping.

In regard to sourcing a scoby, anticipate $6-10 for USPS Priority, and it should include some starter tea. Just PM me if you would like one. You can also attempt to grow one from a bottle of plain, raw kombucha...in glass jar--combine one bottle plain KT, add 1/2 bottle sweet tea (1 tsp or teabag per cup of water, 1 TBSP sugar), coffee filter secured to top, keep out of direct sunlight, and walk away for two to three weeks. Do not disturb it. Should get a nice 1/8-1/4" scoby in that timeframe plus that liquid can be used as starter for first batch.

Back