Kolsch Yeast and Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Kolsch in secondary fermentation. There is a mild sulfur smell coming out of the airlock along with a beer and hops aroma. I also noticed the sulfur smell when I made the yeast starter with light extract.

Is the sulfur smell typical with the Wyeast Kolsch yeast?

Thanks

Mine is two weeks in, and I was getting some sulphur smells earlier. I held it at about 56-58F. For the most part it's gone away now. First time using this one.

At that low end of the temp range I wouldn't be surprised by some sulfur production especially if you pitched on the low end. If it has dissipated on its own that's great but raising the ferm temp by just a degree or two should really help push that out.

I fermented mine at 58 the first week and raised to 66 over the second week. Still have some sulfur in there, but I'm not too worried. Still have two weeks of lagering coming up.

Uh oh that **** is ruined dude, dump it!

ha jk, seriously though, de-gas off the sulfur at the end of fermentation at the higher end of the temp range for a day or two prior to packaging and you'll be good.

step said:
At that low end of the temp range I wouldn't be surprised by some sulfur production especially if you pitched on the low end. If it has dissipated on its own that's great but raising the ferm temp by just a degree or two should really help push that out.

Good to know. I let it go into the low 60's during the second week so that might be why it faded. I was worried about going too high, but I didn't realize that low would throw sulphur.

Latest posts

Back