Kolsch Style IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
So I want to brew a very light ale that will be easy to drink but I want to add lots of hops. I'm basically hoping for an IPA that is in the neighborhood of 3-4 SRM that will be crisp, clear & easy to throw down a few pints on a hot day. This is what I have so far.

This is for an All Grain TEN GALLON batch with mash efficiency set to 70% with an OG of 1.064.

Malt:

25# Pilsner Malt
1# Munich
1# Wheat

4 degrees SRM

Hops:

2oz Warrior 60 minutes
1.5oz Saaz 30 minutes
1.5oz Saaz 10 minutes
1.0 Saaz 1 minute

This is approx 60 IBUs Tinseth

Yeast:

Pacman

I am planning on mashing at about 154 degrees. Thinking about doing a protein rest at 130 and a decoction to bring up to scarification rest and a second decoction to bring up to mash out. I am also planning on fermenting cool at about 60 degrees and hope to get the FG down as close to 1.010 as possible.

Any advise on the style, grains, hop additions, yeast or anything else would be appreciated.

:mug:

Mike

I made an all German Pilsener kolsch with wyeast 2565.

I lightly hopped the boil, and then I DH'd it using an ounce of Mt Hood in the keg. It is a real kolsch-type beer with aroma, and while the chicks dig it, so do the guys that like IPA's. It is about 4.3%, I used Mt hood to bitter and crystal for flavor and aroma, and when it was done, I felt that it was very plain, so I DH 'd it and now I'm happy.:)

The only beers I make to style are IPA's.:eek:

I would caution you on bittering it like an IPA, as 60-ish IBU's and a low 4.5%-ish ABV, with little malt character, may not be as you imagine. Mine was 25 IBU's and I could go another 10, but not another 35.

Um. I think I may have screwed this up. I did a protein rest at 125 degrees and a decoction to bring up to scarification at about 153. My OG ended up at about 1.073 instead of 1.063. My efficiency was brought up to the mid 80's I guess by doing the decoction. I'm worried that such a high gravity beer will be too sweet & 60 IBUs might not be enough....

If you want to add some more hop complexity, you could take another noble type hop like Tettnanger or Hersbrucker or something and use that too, at half that amount of the Saaz. So, where you have a 1.5 oz Saaz, use 1 oz Saaz, .5 oz Hersbrucker, for instance. If you're using American hops, try Liberty instead. At each addition do this. Just if you want it to have a more varied and complex hop flavor though. Could be tasty.

Back