Kolsch OG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BartJY

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just brewed my second batch of Kolsch. The directions state that I should have had an OG of or about 1.042 - 1.046. Instead, I had an OG of 1.034 when I put it away to ferment. What does that mean? Will the end product taste bad? Will the alcohol content be low?

Thanks
Bart

Was it extract or all-grain? With extract, as long as you put in all the malt extract and followed the directions, you should be fine. It's easy to get an inaccurate OG reading with extract..oftentimes the sample wasn't properly mixed so it could have had too much of the top-off water. It will evenly mix when fermenation occurs. Chances are the OG was indeed in the desired range, your sample was just diluted.

It was a combination of grain and extract. But, I don't remember mixing when I added the water, so that could be it. I followed the directions to the letter, so your suggestion make a lot of sense.

Thanks

Sounds like an extract w/ steeping specialty grains. This is very common with an extract recipe. Steeping is different from mashing. You would have mashed the grains were it an all grain, or even partial-mash recipe. I would assume that you hit your desired OG and should be fine.

Update:

Due to the lower OG, the beer was good, but not as good as my first brew of Kolsch which had the correct starting OG. The first brew had a richer more complex flavor and a bit more alcohol to it. Because the second brew had a lower OG, due to less sugar and more H2O in the mix, it tasted watered down. If I hadn't had such a good result the first time out I would have thought this time was great. But alas, it could have been better. But, it was still worth drinking. And now all I have are empty bottles. Time to get brewing.

Bart

I didn't test the OG as I was adding water. So yes, I added too much water. Live and learn, I won't make that mistake next time.

Back