Knowing when to stop..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalko

Reaction score
What is the easiest way of know when to stop filling a corny keg? I usually have more beer in the fermentor than will fit in the keg, and always seem to go a little bit too far filling the keg up. Then I end up making a mess when I have to purge the oxygen out when topping up with CO2. Is there a quick easy way to do this? Right now I have to shine a flashlight in the keg to watch the level of the beer relative to the gas tube...works, but is a hassle.

Cheers!
Roberto

I crash my beer before filling the keg and when I fill the keg I get condensation on the outside. The condensation is usually about an inch or so below the actual beer level so I can just watch the condensation until it starts to get close.. then it's the flashlight for me.

I do the flashlight thing too (I have an led head lamp that makes it a little easier) and I usually fill them about 2" below the gas tube. I always leave a little more beer in my fermenter than I want to but everytime I overfill a keg I get beer coming out the gas in connector into my co2 tubing after the pressures equalize. By underfilling the keg, at least I ensure I'm definitely leaving all of the yeast behind.

do you guys keg in the dark? I've never needed a flashlight to keg.
Do you have to clean out the gas line after the blowback?

Flood with Co2 prior to filling. There should be no Oxygen in it when you're done. Or such a small amount it won't matter.

No I don't fill the keg in the dark, but in the basement for me, which does not have great lighting. I'm usually standing over the keg, which blocks the light.

I never get to the point of having beer in the gas line since when I purge the Oxygen out, if I have too much beer in there I won't connect the line and will empty out the excess.

The last two or three times I was going to keg, I grabbed a six pack of bottles and six Muntons carb drops and bottled a sixer first and then kegged. Just under five gallons in the keg and I have a sample for six months from now.
I usually have 5.25-5.75 gallons in the bucket so no beer is wasted.

Back