Know where to find a battery like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I'm looking for a big, rechargeable battery that has a couple of 110v outlets.
A lot like an RV power inverter only all AC.
One that I plug into the wall to recharge and then I can hook up various electronics in the field.

Any sources?
All I can find are the inverters...

possibly a computer UPS (uninterruptable power supply) it uses a 12volt battery and inverter it plugs in to recharge to battery and can provide for a number of normal ac outlets.

batteries don't make AC power. You need something with an inverter for that.

k1v1116 said:
possibly a computer UPS (uninterruptable power supply) it uses a 12volt battery and inverter it plugs in to recharge to battery and can provide for a number of normal ac outlets.

Most of the UPSs I have make a horrible, horrible noise when running on batteries. I guess you could always butcher one and disable the beeper, but it's something to note.

A nice little Honda EU2000 ought to do the job. Very portable, very quiet.

Crikey, I'll bet that's nice! A little out of my price range though.

I'm taking my young nephew camping for a week and I was thinking about bringing a portable DVD player to entertain him for a couple of nights.
He's young and I think this will occupy him occasionally.

The one I have has a weak battery and I don't have a laptop.
This is the type of battery I would need for this.

ahhh! blasphemy! Don't take a dvd player camping teach him to enjoy the outdoors!

There's nothing I'd love more that to shut off this computer and head out west hiking and camping right now.

Depending on the voltage you need Black and Decker makes some, they really for recharging, thing they do 20watt 3mins 16 watt continuous on the ones I have, they really for recharging small electronics like cell phones and mp3 players. Dunno what they run normally but I picked up 4 for $35 on woot.com, might try ebay or something.

z987k said:
ahhh! blasphemy! Don't take a dvd player camping teach him to enjoy the outdoors!

There's nothing I'd love more that to shut off this computer and head out west hiking and camping right now.

+1 I don't ever think I would be interested watching TV when camping, not even when I was little... Tell a few ghost stories.

I agree that the outdoors is not a place for electronics.
He's 4 and I have to have realistic expectations about his behaviour.

z987k said:
nothing wrong with a massive fire, teaches you how to put one out ;)

LMAO! NEVER try and kill snakes by filling their homes with gas and lighting it with HIGH winds and very very dry grass..... man less than 10 seconds....

The best I ever saw was a few years back camping with friends up on Lake Superior. We found a promising camp site at the campground but there wasn't a spot big enough for our tent. We decided to relocate the rock ring fire pit and put the tent where the old fire pit was. We started moving the rocks and there was a colony of ant that had taken up residence under the rocks. One of my buddys, a fire fighter, say "We can just burn the ants out." He proceeds to pour white gas over the ants and lights it on fire.

Things were progressing well and the ants were dieing but not quick enough for him. He grabs the can of white gas and goes to pour more over the ants. What he didn't realize was that the fire was still burning underground and it light the gas on fire as he's pouring it. He is now holding a blow tourch of white gas and panics. He throws the can and it lands under the picnic table, that our tent is sitting on still in the bag. Another friend thinks fast and reaches into the fireball and grabs the tent before it melts. The fire fighter then proceeds to kick the can of burning gas off the camp site and into the lake. Now Lake Superior is on fire.

The fire eventually burned it self out without any damage. Part of our group had been a few camp sites down checking things out when the can was kicked down the hill. They said that the force of the kick produced a fireball about 10 feet across. They had no idea what was going on.

The point of this story: Leave the ants alone :)

I have a jump-start battery with a 120 volt/200 watt inverter on the side. It included a 12 volt charging cord and a small transformer for charging from 120 A/C. Since it can charge while you travel & provide 120 A/C in the car, it would be a good bet.

However, with a 4 yr old around, I'd wrap the jump-cables in tape. There's an off switch that is hard to turn, but ...

There are also small inverters that plug into a lighter socket on your car & can provide 20-30 watts 120 volt A/C.

[Black & Decker Portable Power Station is a good search string]

Back