• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Know when the boil has started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could hold your finger in the pot until the skin starts to peel off or wait for your therm. to hit 212, and last but not least, favorite of cavemen boiling dinosaur eggs, an oldie but a goodie, just watch for the little bubble thingies.

I used to have this pyrex disc that sat at the bottom of the kettle. Its got a dome shaped bottom. As the pot starts to boil it rattles inside the kettle. Boiled out oxygen is trying to escape from around this disc. The benefit is that it rattles like crazy, and makes a good bit of noise, so if you are multitasking its a wake up call to you.

Two bucks!!

035738.jpg

Boiling Disc.........

I'd accept one as a gift <g>.

Boiling a pot of water for some pasta and don't want to be sitting around the kitchen waiting for that to happen.

You guys would make fun of the whistling tea kettle.

HOW have I lived without this????

A whistling tea kettle serves its purpose...usually cause I forgot I put it on... as far as waiting for my brew to boil, I usually stare at it grinning like an idiot...

Man this is a tough crowd! I doubt I'll buy one but I always appreciate someone pointing out an interesting idea.

Thanks, bwhite and Schlenkerla.

I'd accept one as a gift <g>.

Boiling a pot of water for some pasta and don't want to be sitting around the kitchen waiting for that to happen.

You guys would make fun of the whistling tea kettle.

I never bought one of those disks. When I went to college my mother gave me one with all the kitchen stuff that she figured I would need. That disk thing is something your great grandmas would use for canning. They know when its time to add the jars. Not to mention the lid is on the pot, kids running around, overall busy multitasking.

Obviously no one needs this, its not like a boiling pot is all that subtle. But it would be nice to have when you are playing defense against your little kids wanting to touch the pretty blue light under the pot.

I believe I used it once. I agree its not complicated to tell when its boiling, its an audible warning. Pay attention to what you are doing and its not needed.

Obviously no one needs this, its not like a boiling pot is all that subtle. But it would be nice to have when you are playing defense against your little kids wanting to touch the pretty blue light under the pot.

They'll only touch it once... :D

Am I the only one that uses a thermometer with alarm? I set it to 200f, while i'm sparging I start heating the first runnings. When the alarm goes off I grab my fermcap and it's off to the races.

Am I the only one that uses a thermometer with alarm? I set it to 200f, while i'm sparging I start heating the first runnings. When the alarm goes off I grab my fermcap and it's off to the races.

You must be. I have a cooking thermometer that does that. I bought for that same purpose but never drilled the hole for the thing. Got weldless keggle fittings.

You must be. I have a cooking thermometer that does that. I bought for that same purpose but never drilled the hole for the thing. Got weldless keggle fittings.

No drilling necessary, it has a 3ft. lead on it, just drape it over the side of the bk.

Latest posts

Back