Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jota21! I have 3 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane on the woodwork and 3 coats of high gloss stone sealer on the tile and grout, so bring on the spills! My IPA and Indian Brown Ales turned out great. The Blood Orange Hefewiezen is not my favorite, but I made it for a couple of my neighbor's wives that like sweeter wheat beers. I have another batch of my Amarillo Wheat dry hopping and should be ready to keg next weekend. I have a feeling that once it conditions for a bit and then is carbed with the set it and forget it approach....it will be taking the place of the fruity sh*t on tap 2! Thanks for all of the feedback along the way Jota21. :mug:

THAT... is a thing of beauty! Glad you're finally able to enjoy it and the beer looks awesome.

However, that thing is too pretty to spill beer on!!!

tapping the brew! Glad you redid the grout! looked good before PERFECT now! AND doesn't keg beer taste that much better!

Congrats!

need to see complete finish of full area now.... "build it and they will sit for years to come!" (in my best field of dreams whisper again).

Thanks...I appreciate it. My wife and I are grouting the slate floor in the bar today and I'll be sealing it on Thursday. Other than that, I just need to get the drop ceiling in and clear coat the log bar stools. I'll post some pics when I'm done. I am already working a ton of hours and now I got roped in to coaching my son's baseball team, so spare time is getting tighter and tighter. Thanks again Keith, I appreciate your advice along the way. :mug:

Wow! Turned out great! Very, very nice work. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it that kick a$$ basement of yours.

Thanks Starrfish! Trying like hell to get the bar project done ASAP before summer. Did you ever get your Hop Randall designed and operational? Yes, keg beer is awesome. I just got sick of rinsing bottles all of the time, so this is much, much easier. Dry hopping another batch of amarillo wheat for my 4th keg. I need to lose the Blood Orange Hefe on tap 2 until my next party with the neighbors. It's too sweet for me and I'm not digging the bavarian wheat yeast that the guy at the HBS talked me into using. A few of my neighbors like that sort of thing, so it's all theirs next party! In the meantime, I'll swap it out for the amarillo wheat when ready. Still waiting for brew day pics ;)

tapping the brew! Glad you redid the grout! looked good before PERFECT now! AND doesn't keg beer taste that much better!

Congrats!

need to see complete finish of full area now.... "build it and they will sit for years to come!" (in my best field of dreams whisper again).

So much work for 3 taps.
DO you wish you had gone bigger or had more taps?
Have a commercial beer in there too?

3 taps is absolutely fine with me. I think that 15 gallons of beer in 3 varieties on tap is plenty, especially considering that I am the only person in my household that drinks beer. I could easily expand it to 5 taps, but the 7.0 cf GE chest freezer really only comfortably fits 4 kegs. I can fit 4 kegs and the CO2 cylinder on the floor. If I used a 3.5 gallon keg on the hump, I could expand to 5 taps if needed. I put a cold storage cellar in my basement for beer and wine, which I will keep fully stocked with craft beer from around the country and I will periodically bottle home brew as well. There will be no shortage of beer for my bar. :D I don't drink commerical beer, so don't need space for that. I'm perfectly content with what I have, but do have the potential to expand prn.

So much work for 3 taps.
DO you wish you had gone bigger or had more taps?
Have a commercial beer in there too?

Thanks Toasted! I appreciate your feedback along the way. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I just got home from work and was planning to grout the slate on the bar floor, but my wife "needs" to go grocery shopping. Too big of a project to tackle myself. As of right now, it is fully operation sitting out in the middle of my billiards room. Can't put it into it's final resting place until the grout is done on the floor and the slate is sealed. I'll post some final pics of the bar when it's complete. Thanks again. :mug:

Awesome job man. I love the cedar just being everywhere in your bar. Congrats!

:mug:

Very well done. I just finished my build up today (link in sig if you'd like to check it out) and used your thread and Jester's as my blueprint. Thanks for providing all of the details, I only wish I had your woodworking skills.

Hey Chipsah, Nice work! I posted on your thread.

OK guys, I know that I said that I would be perfectly content with a 3 tap system, but I racked another batch into my 4th keg (amarillo wheat....one of my favorites!) and it carbing away in the keezer. Now I wish I had 4th tap to get this one into the lineup. I have a blood orange hefewiezen that I don't care for (but my neighbors love) and plan on swapping it's beer line over to my amarillo wheat. I plan on having a late spring party at my house and will move the BOH back into the lineup just to get rid of it, but if I had the 4th tap, I would have to keep moving beer lines around. I will most likely knife another cedar log and drill 4 holes to accommodate the 4th tap. Thankfully, I planned ahead for this and it will be a pretty quick addition. Just have to swap out the trim piece with 3 holes to a new one with 4 holes and re-drill the front of the coffin for 4 taps. The trim piece is screwed on from the back side....no adhesives were used, so it would be a pretty quick upgrade.

I opened my keezer up yesterday to check on the regulators and discovered that the beer line for my IPA had a small leak at one of the shanks. There was a little puddle of beer on the floor of the keezer. I tightened threaded coupling that kegconnection used for my system, which was already tight. I checked it again last night and at one of the hose barbs, it was a little wet again. I think that the one crimped hose clamp that they used is the culprit, so I'm going to pick up a small stainless threaded hose clamp at HD today. Once that keg kicks, I have some cleaning up to do in the bottom of the keezer. My first beer spill..... :(

I did a little research on the hose clamps used for my beer lines and they Oetiker clamps that are a b*tch to remove. My Centennial IPA beer line has a slow leak at one of the shanks on the beer line. When I ordered my 3 tap system from kegconnection.com, my beer lines came with a weird set up. They used Disconnects with hose barb fittings and secured a short 4 inch piece of beer line with an Oetiker clamp. Then they used a MFL fitting with a hose barb and Oetiker clamp on the opposite end of the short 4 inch beer line. Then they used a Swivel Nut with a hose barb fitting and an Oetiker clamp on the 6' beer line, which then goes up into my coffin and connects to the tap shanks via another large swivel nut with a hose barb fitting and another Oetiker clamp. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

With so many connections there was bound to be a leak somewhere. I called kegconnection today and asked Todd (the owner) why they went with this set up. He said that for a period of a few weeks, they were out of stock on Disconnects with MFL fittings, so they went with what they had in stock (the one's with hose barb fittings) and this was the way it had to be set up. He said that they most likely used the wrong size Oetiker clamp at one of the connections. He was very cool about the situation and offered to send me 3 brand new Disconnects with MFL fittings, so that I can remove the short piece of beer line and have only 1 connection instead of 3. Although it's a pain in the a$$, I'm pleased with their customer service and will continue to use them. :mug: Still considering bumping up to 4 taps, but haven't found time to knife another cedar trim piece to accommodate it.

I'm hoping to start my build next week. I have the same temperature controller you have and I'm going to run the freezer with one temp probe and run the fans with the other temp probe. Is this configuration still working for you? Anything you would change? Also, could you let me know what settings you had to change with the Love controller?

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott. Sorry, just got this message...haven't been on HBT for a couple of weeks due to being out of town and work. Yes, the dual input/dual output controller is working just fine. Initially I had the keezer probe/channel set at 38 degrees and the coffin probe/channel set at 43 degrees. I found that when I was trying to keep the temperature differential down to 5 degrees, the fans ran too much.....like every 10 to 15 minutes for a couple of minutes. Most likely due to colder air dropping out of the coffin through the two 4 inch fan ports. My coffin is fairly well insulated, so I don't think it was an insulation issue just the heavier cold air dropping. After a few days of the fans coming on every few minutes,

I decided to increase the coffin temp. to 46 to try to maintain an 8 degree differential. The fans would kick on far less frequently....for a minute or two every hour. I finally settled on a 10 degree temperature differential with the keezer at 38 degrees and the coffin at 48 degrees, which has been fine. My compressor runs very little on the freezer unit and the coffin fans kick on every couple of hours for a couple of minutes. The Perlick taps are always cold to the touch. No foaming issues whatsoever and no warm pours, even after an extended period of time without use.

I'll double check my settings compared to the stock settings. I did have to chance a couple of parameters, but will have to double check which ones they were. I'll get back to you asap with the parameter line-up, but the controller should work out very well for you. I'm glad I went with a dual input, dual output controller, because I think that the fans kicking on only with the compressor would not be nearly enough. I'll let you know. :mug:

Scott....make sure you start a thread of your build. I would love to follow your progress and offer any suggestions that I can to help you out. Good luck my man! :tank:

I just got back from Arizona where my uncle and I worked on the keezer in his shop. I need to put a few coats of polyurethane on and finish the wiring and insulation and I should be done. I took lots of pictures. As soon as I get them organized I'll start a new thread for my build and I'll let you know. I used a lot of your ideas so it should look pretty familiar to you. Thanks again for sharing your build process with us.

Scott

No problem! I completely forgot to check my controller parameters. If you still need me to, let me know and I'll go home today and get them for you. I've been meaning to PM you with them, but have been very busy doing outside landscaping and yard work every night when I get home. Hell, sunday was the first time I have brewed a batch of beer in a couple of months. :( Oh well. Now that my landscaping crap is done, I'm going to start my single tier AG brewing rig this summer. Wish me luck. Let me know if you still need the parameters. :mug:

Yes, if you could give me the parameters that you had to change to get the fans working that would be great. I'm hoping to have this ready to plug in by tomorrow, maybe tonight. If you can't find them then I'll just call them.

Scott

Also, on post #134 the picture that shows the back. What is the middle plugin for (the one with the orange extension chord)?

Thanks,

Scott

I'll get you the parameters when I get home from work. Should be within the next few hours.

OK...as far as the plugs go:

The one on the left is powered by output #1 from the Dual Input/Output Love Controller, which works off of the temperature probe #1 in the chest freezer. The compressor is plugged into this outlet.

The one in the middle is powered by output #2 from the Love Controller, which works off of the temperature probe #2 in the coffin. The Inductor fans are both wired into the orange extension cord that is plugged into the middle plug.

The one on the right is contolled by the manual switch on the left side of the unit for turning the LED lights for the coffin on/off. Obviously the LED rope lights are plugged into the right plug.

Hope that answers your question. I'll get you the parameters when I get home, but I think only one or two need to be changed and the rest stay at the pre-set factory settings. I'll post in a bit. Have you started a thread?

Congrats! :mug:

Hey Scott....here are the parameters that you are after.

Keep in mind that althought this controller is dual input (temp. probes) and dual output (power sources), it only displays the temperature of one of the channels. I thought that it was more important to have the LED displaying the temperature inside of the chest freezer as opposed to the coffin, so my parameters reflect this set up.

Press the "set" button for 8 seconds until the value "0" starts blinking on the LED display. Press the "set" button again to leave the factory setting at "0". Then use the "up" arrow to start scrolling through the different parameters. Once you reach the desired parameter press the "set" button to see the factory setting and use the "up" or "down" arrow to make the appropriate adjustments. Once you have found your desired setting, press the "set" button to lock it in and move on to the next parameter. Once you have made all of the adjustments press the "set" button and the "down" button at the same time to exit the parameter setup.

Here are the settings that I used:

SP1 = 38.0 (degrees) -----factory was 10.0 ------ chest freezer temp.
SP2 = 48.0 (degrees) -----factory was 10.0 ------ coffin temp.
r0 = ind
r1 = 1.0
r2 = 1.0
r3 = 1.0
r4 = -99.9
r5 = -99.9
r6 = 99.0
r7 = 99.0
r8 = On2 ------factory was On1
A0 = 99.9
A1 = 99.9
A2 = 99.9
A3 = 99.9
A4 = 99.9
A5 = 18.0
A6 = AHL
A7 = AHL
c0 = 0
c1 = dir
c2 = dir
c3 = Opn
c4 = Opn
P0 = *F -----factory was on *C
P1 = 0.0
P2 = 0.0
P3 = yes
P4 = sd1
H0 = 2
H1 = no
H2 = dir
H3 = dir
H4 = 0
H5 = 0

I put the parameters that need to be adjusted in bold. Of course, you can choose whatever temperatures that you desire for your SP1 and SP2 settings. This unit allows you to set various alarms if the temp. exceeds or falls below certain parameters, but I just left all of those settings factory, as I don't need alarms. With the temperature inside of the chest freezer being shown on the LED display, it should be obvious if the compressor stops working, because that temp. will be too high and your beer will be too warm.

Hope this helps.....Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

:mug:

Kent

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am using the same freezer for my Keezer. I went and bought a 3 way manifold with the idea that I would be content with just 3 taps, but I can now see myself trying to add another gas line in some how. Four kegs are a tight squeeze, but it can be done.

Great job on your set up. I am definitely jealous and inspired by your great work.

Actually, I was suprized at how easily I was able to fit 4 kegs in. In fact, I can get all 4 on the floor and the 5# CO2 tank without difficulty. I know that a few of the other 7 cu.ft. freezers are difficult to fit 4 kegs into, but this one was no problem. If I were you, I would stick with the 3 way manifold, but upgrade to a dual body regulator. That way you can have 3 kegs carbed at the same volume and have one completely independent regulator/CO2 line to force carb. or have a beer style like a wheat at a higher volume if desired. I haven't gotten around to knifing another cedar trim piece and adding the 4th tap, but plan on doing it this summer sometime. Let me know if I can help! :mug:

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. I'm going to be making a few alterations to it shortly. I need to make another horizontal trim piece, so I can add my 4th tap. I'm also considering incorporating an idea that Jester (Erik) had by incorporating linear actuators to open the lid. It's still a work in progress, but functioning very well.

I will check out your book when I get a chance. I'm always looking to add to my brewing library. Congrats! :mug:

Truly a masterpiece...awesome job! I'm finally getting out of my apartment at the end of the year and this is a "must" for my new house. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Thanks for the compliment, it was a lot of fun building it. However, like most home brewing "projects"....it is a work in progress. Let me know if I can help when you start your keezer build.

A couple of updates to the thread:

After much consideration, research, and discussions with other HBT members, I am swapping out my 5' beer lines that come with the standard Keg Connections kegging kits for 10' beer lines. In my experience thus far with about 7 kegs run through this thing, I can say without hesitation that 5' beer lines DO NOT offer enough resistance to flow rate when the p.s.i. is held constant at 11-12 p.s.i. for both carbing and serving. Everything goes great for the first few weeks as the carb gets up to the optimal volume of CO2 in solution, but once up to full carbonation foaming issues become a royal pain in the a$$! :mad:

I am confident that the longer beer lines will offer enough resistance to slow the flow rate down to avoid foaming. I can say this with confidence, since I did a test on one of the kegs that has been in the keezer for 2 months, which I have had foaming issues with for a while now. I slowly purged the pressure out of the keg down to 5 p.s.i. and then adjusted the regulator to hold the pressure at 5 p.s.i. for serving. Instantly the foaming issues ceased, so I'm certain that it's not an overcarbonation issue due to a defective regulator. I'll post once I swap the lines out in another day or two.

I also planned on knifing and drilling another cedar log trim piece to accommodate a 4th faucet instead of three, since my keezer holds 4 kegs and my system is equipped with a dual body regulator with a 3 way manifold off of one of the lines. I planned on doing this work at the same time I swap out the beer lines, but Keg Connection pulled all of their Perlick SS faucets off of the market due to a "manufacturer defect". Evidently the most recent batch of faucets that they received are having major leaking issues where the faucet connects to the shank. The problem should be resolved by Perlick in the next couple of weeks according to the KC sales guy and they will start selling them again. I'm having a big party on Saturday, so I need to swap the lines now and add the 4th tap later.

P.S. The drop ceiling still is not installed in my bar, however, the keezer has been placed in it's final resting place in my basement bar. :ban: I'll snap a few pics. and post on both threads in the next day or two. :mug:

Ok...here are some pics with my keezer in it's final resting place in my basement bar. The bar is still not 100% complete, but just a few more things to do. Now I need to figure out what to do to tone down the look of the bright white fridge next to it. It really clashes with the rustic decor that I have going on down there, but it's all I got and I don't really have any other place to put it. :mad: Any suggestions?

I purchased the 10 ft. beer lines today and will be installing them tomorrow after work. I have a big party this weekend and really don't want people pulling foamy pints and making a complete mess of the thing. Longer lines should do the trick! :mug:

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Really great stuff. I wonder if some yellowish-tan stain (e.g., oak) would hold on the paint of that fridge? Anything to knock the edge off that white. If nothing else, maybe a tan appliance paint? And maybe do something closer to the cedar color on the trim? ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions....I'm going to hunt down my paperwork on the fridge, if I still have it. Ideally, I would like to just use the same thin knotty pine that I used for the keezer across the front and right side. I think it would be fine, but want to be sure that I don't end up with a fridge constantly overheating. If I find that it's going to cause issues, I'll consider your suggestions of painting it.

UPDATE: The 10' beer lines worked like a dream!!! :ban: Absolutely no foaming issues. Had a big party at my house over the weekend and the keezer got a hell of a workout. Went through a full keg of Bonzai Wheat, finished off my Indian Brown, and put a healthy dent in my keg of Fat Tire clone. Eveything worked flawlessly and everyone raved about the quality of the beer, so Hoppo's happy! Now I need to get brewing to replenish the pipeline. ;)

2puttbird said:
Really great stuff. I wonder if some yellowish-tan stain (e.g., oak) would hold on the paint of that fridge? Anything to knock the edge off that white. If nothing else, maybe a tan appliance paint? And maybe do something closer to the cedar color on the trim? ;-)

How about lining the trim of the fridge with that cedar like the bar... Oohh... How about replacing the fridge handles with thin knifed cedar logs?

Thanks man. Just taking a break from installing drop ceiling in the basement. It's a big project for one person to do, but I'm making progress. The bedroom is done and the family room/rec. room is all laid out and ready for rails. Still need to do the bar and exercise room. I would like to have the entire ceiling done within the next week, but that may be a little too optimistic. Thanks for the compliment. :mug:

I know it's been a while since I last updated this thread, but I have decided to drop a couple of lines. The ceiling is up in my bar and I'm finishing off some wiring and ductwork to finish the room. An update on the keezer....

I originally planned to drill out whitetail antlers as tap handles, but it turned into a royal PITA! I am now going to make some handles out of some unique cedar branches that I harvested this weekend while visiting my old man over the weekend. :rockin:

I know I have been saying this for a while, but I am finally adding the 4th tap to the keezer!!!! :tank: My birthday is this week and I decided to spend a little birthday $ on another Perlick and beer line. I'll throw everything together over the next week or so and hopefully, I'll have some pics. to post. Thank you to everyone that has followed my progress. Like most homebrewing projects, it's a work in progress.

Always glad to have an update on this one! It was a real journey reading through and the only thing that would make this project better is if you lived down the street.

Thanks man. I spent a few hours yesterday knifing and sanding red cedar branches for tap handles. Although they looked pretty cool, they ended up too tall and looked too over the top. I ended up cutting them down to about 9 in. tall. I'm doing the finishing sanding on them today and then will give them a few coats of polyurethane. I purchased the threaded inserts a while back from McMaster Carr, which worked great. I ended up making 4 tap handles and will be ordering my 4th Perlick 525SS sometime this week. I'll post some pics later today and you guys can let me know what you think. Now I need to get to work on the horizontal trim piece where the taps mount to accommodate the 4th tap. Almost there....:rockin:

OK...I spent a few hours cutting to size and rough sanding some cedar branch tap handles yesterday. They had much more character to start with, but I had to cut them down big time, because they were way too big. They still seem a bit oversized and have lost some character, but I'm going to keep plugging away. I plan on sanding them down quite a bit to get through the outer sap wood to the red heart wood, which will thin them out a bit. Once they are finished sanded and get several coats of polyurethane put on, the colors will really pop like the rest of the cedar on the keezer. I also made a fourth tap handle, as I am adding another tap. My wife does not care for my homemade tap handles whatsoever, but I think they will work if I thin them down more and bring out more heartwood color. Any feedback would be great. Here are the pics.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

Back