Knockout Tool Needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dub

Reaction score
Hello friends. Since I was last on this forum I have decided to go electric. I am in the middle of my build, wiring my panel up etc...

My next step is to start popping holes in my pots. I need a couple of knockouts. One 13/16" and one 9/16" (both need to be chassis not conduit knockouts). Figured there might be some of you that have done the same sort of build and have these two tools laying around that you might want to sell or rent. Let me know.

Thanks, JW

example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQWZWU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a step bit for my drill for all the holes in my keggles and control panel. It was more work but I couldn't bring myself to buy the hole punches for how little I would have used them afterwards.
Just a consideration

Hunter306, it seems like it would be difficult to get the kind of torque needed to go through a stainless steel pot with just an allen wrench. Were you making your holes in stainless steel pots?

I just picked up the 22.5mm for punching the holes for my lights/switches. Will report back on the quality!

I used a step bit for my drill for all the holes in my keggles and control panel. It was more work but I couldn't bring myself to buy the hole punches for how little I would have used them afterwards.
Just a consideration
Ditto.... With a little oil for lubrication the harbor freight step bit on sale for $12.99 went through the pots like butter. I took advice found on many other threads that the knockout tool is really unnecessary.. no cleanup of the edges needed. They were cut clean and unbent.
I did have a bit of a struggle cutting the large heating element hole because I forgot to ad oil on the first element hole I cut so the second one I drilled in a keg was a bit time consuming (dull bit).
All in all I drilled 10 holes in my pot and keg with the two step bits that came in the HF kit... Then I used those bits for my control panel.

Ditto.... With a little oil for lubrication the harbor freight step bit on sale for $12.99 went through the pots like butter. I took advice found on many other threads that the knockout tool is really unnecessary..
I did have a bit of a struggle cutting the large heating element hole because I forgot to ad oil on the first element hole I cut so the second one I drilled in a keg was a bit time consuming (dull bit).
All in all I drilled 10 holes in my pot and keg with the two step bits that came in the HF kit... Then I used those bits for my control panel.

I am on my 2nd step bit (first was an old one I had) and drilling the element holes is a pain. We stopped using oil because it seemed like it was getting in the way and not cutting but I guess it is what made the first smaller holes work well. Might need to go grab one more to get it done and over with. Is there a way to sharpen the bits?

I am on my 2nd step bit (first was an old one I had) and drilling the element holes is a pain. We stopped using oil because it seemed like it was getting in the way and not cutting but I guess it is what made the first smaller holes work well. Might need to go grab one more to get it done and over with. Is there a way to sharpen the bits?

I used motor oil... Without oil the bits will dull almost instantly in the stainless... I dont know of a way to sharpen them... I actually bought a second kit in case I need to drill anymore holes since the larger step bit from my first kit is very dull now from not using oil.
I also drilled a starter hole with a regular bit which made things go faster.

I used motor oil... Without oil the bits will dull almost instantly in the stainless... I dont know of a way... I actually bought a second kit in case I need to drill anymore holes since the larger step bit from my first kit is very dull now from not using oil.
I also drilled a starter hole with a regular bit which made things go faster.

I used olive oil as it is what was down there. I spose I might have to suck it up and get one more step bit to finish them off. I need 4 more steps on one hole and 2 on the other as I want to fit my female/female couplers in there for soldering.

I used olive oil as it is what was down there. I spose I might have to suck it up and get one more step bit to finish them off. I need 4 more steps on one hole and 2 on the other as I want to fit my female/female couplers in there for soldering.
yeah when my bit went dull is still looked ok just wouldnt cut worth a damn. they do sell a cutting oil too...
Funny I have a friend who lives in altanta whos an avid home brewer. I'm still trying to convince him to jump to all grain.

I have found some really great deals on Ebay. At least 1/3rd the price for genuine Greenlee's at times.

Just wanted to put a final post on this thread for anyone doing a future build and uses this for reference.

The knockouts described above work perfectly. I bought a 13/16 & a 9/16 and both worked beautifully to make the recommended holes in my 20ga Blichmann Boilermakers, and were a fraction of the price of the Greenlee counterparts.

Follow the directions and grease the screw! And maybe most important, spend the $4 on the right kind of drill bit for the pilot hole. Cobalt is what you need to drill through stainless. Took me 45 minutes to drill the first hole with a regular bit. Less than 30 seconds with a cobalt bit. Right Tool, Right Job, Right!

Again thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

Best, JW

Cutting oil is cheap bit insurance. Slow speed is the other. I just used the Chinese junk Bobby sells on brew hardware. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back