Knob Creek is the DEVIL...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The first reason that Knob Creek is the Devil is because MaMa said so. The second reason is that after the third Dram of Knob Creek, the rest of the Bottle goes down like water. And I won't even Talk about the Eagle's Reserve 18 yr. Old Single Barrle that I PISSED through in one night in June while Camping. OY VEY!!!:drunk:

What other Boubon can you recommend this Scotch Drinker when he does not want to drink a $100.00 Bottle? Already had Basil Hayden, and no, it did not impress.

Got Makers Mark at home right now. Buffalo Trace is a very good Bourbon in that price range. Eagle Rare 10 yr old. You know Mr Knob. Woodford Reserve is not bad. They all can be the devils spawn because they are all so smooth and tasty.

Funny, I just finished a glass of Knob Creek.

The bourbon that got me drinking bourbon is the Woodford Reserve. Mmmmm, I'm salivating just thinking of it...

I watched an episode of "The Best Of" where they went in search of the best bourbons. The top two on the list were both Pappy Van Winkle. I haven't tried it yet.

-Joe

I love me some Maker's Mark. Maker's Mark and honey roasted peanuts- YUM!

Maker's Mark tastes good, yes.

But I'll just let you know that there was one night about a year and a half ago when I went out to a concert with a friend of mine (the band was Type O Negative). He grew up with the whole band, so we got to hang out in the VIP area. We get behind the velvet rope, waitress comes around, and I order a Maker's Mark. Lets just say that that scenario repeated itself at least 12 or 13 times... at least I can remember up until that point. The night progressed as follows: stumbling outside, passing out on the sidewalk (not good in New York City), getting woken up when my then fiancee calls me to see where i am, getting in a cab, throwing up all over myself and the taxi, passing out in the shower while my lady was trying to clean me up, passing out in bed and then, the topper, the cherry on the whole night: I threw up so hard the following morning that I burst all of the blood vessels in both eyes. For two weeks I walked around with all red eyes. I mean there was NO white in my eyes, just blood red. Having to tell this whole story to everyone I saw for 2 weeks... well, that is why I am off Maker's Mark for life!

But I'll just let you know that there was one night about a year and a half ago when I went out to a concert with a friend of mine (the band was Type O Negative). He grew up with the whole band, so we got to hang out in the VIP area. We get behind the velvet rope, waitress comes around, and I order a Maker's Mark. Lets just say that that scenario repeated itself at least 12 or 13 times... at least I can remember up until that point. The night progressed as follows: stumbling outside, passing out on the sidewalk (not good in New York City), getting woken up when my then fiancee calls me to see where i am, getting in a cab, throwing up all over myself and the taxi, passing out in the shower while my lady was trying to clean me up, passing out in bed and then, the topper, the cherry on the whole night: I threw up so hard the following morning that I burst all of the blood vessels in both eyes. For two weeks I walked around with all red eyes. I mean there was NO white in my eyes, just blood red. Having to tell this whole story to everyone I saw for 2 weeks... well, that is why I am off Maker's Mark for life!

hah! This sounds almost precisely like my 21st birthday. We went to Jekyll and Hyde's in NYC. I ended up getting so hammered that I passed out in a back alley somewhere. A friend finally found me. Threw up everywhere, was hanging out the door of the car on the way home. Besides breaking all the vessels in my eyes, I broke all the vessels in the skin around them, so I had black eyes with red eyes set in them. It was awful.

-Joe

I'm not an avid scotch or bourbon drinker, per se. BUT, one of my guitar players swears by the Glen Livet. The Glenlivet

The 12 year old stuff is about $40 a fifth
The 18 year old stuff is about $60 a fifth

It's GOOD. My problem is that after only a couple of glasses of the stuff, I can't walk, stand up or function. It's crazy. I can drink a LOT of beer, but two shots of the Glen Livet and I'm retarded.

If you've never tried it, I suggest it.

Pappy Van Winkle, 20 year old Bourbon. I'm not much of a whiskey drinker but I bought a bottle of this last year after touring the distillery. Very very smooth, and good. A little pricey at $80 bucks for the bottle, but you don't see many bourbons older than this one. Pappy also makes a 23 year old that is exceptional, but at $225 per bottle I'm not buying it.

All of those bourbons are great, but there is no finer sippin whiskey than Jim Beam! Used to drink a couple 1.75's a week, I don't drink as much now........

I'm not an avid scotch or bourbon drinker, per se. BUT, one of my guitar players swears by the Glen Livet.
The Glenlivet was my entry into Scotch whiskys. Another excellent one if you're looking for a great Scotch in a reasonable price range is The Macallan. I think there's some in my current collection...

whiskies.jpg

-Joe

I like Baker's- the older brother of Knob Creek in the Beam Small Batch collection. Bookers is great too, but Baker's hits a sweet spot for me. I love Knob Creek, but find Maker's Mark to be a vanilla-flavored gimmick compared to other bourbons.

Elmer T. Lee is also one of the nicest, smoothest, tastiest bourbons around, and doesn't cost too much.

If you ever see a bottle of George T. Stagg, snag it, as it is my opinion the most interesting, complex sipping bourbon on the block.

Have I mentioned that I love bourbon?

Bleh I find Woodford offensively terrible tasting. I'm not a fan of Knob Creek either. Eagle Rare isn't bad, Old Weller 107 is a good one. Maker's is ok, but way overrated IMO....kind of the Grey Goose of bourbon.

"The Grey Goose of bourbon."
That's funny - I prefer Grey Goose over most other vodka. I like Ketel One as well.

Oh well. This is why I'm not a liquor person. After all, I actually like that Kessler rubbish. :p

I'm a buffalo trace man myself. Elijah Craig is also pretty darn tasty as well as an occasional Old Grand Dad 114 proof. That stuff is excellent for the price.

As for scotch... Talisker is great, glenlivet is the devil, put down a whole bottle in a few hours one time cuz it was goin down so easy. That was a mistake, my friends.

Bourbon, I lean towards Basil Haydens or Woodford, athough I've heard good things about Buffalo Trace. Knob Creek IS damn good, though !
Irish, I lean, heavily, towards John Powers.

I drink on a bottle of bookers periodically with a cigar and just got a bottle of Johnny W Blue for my bday so that will be up with a good gar.

Buffalo Trace has been banned from my house (most weeks) because the bottle disappears too quickly. However, since the OP is a scotch man, I'm not sure that Buffalo Trace is the right whiskey for him.

Buffalo Trace (~$20/750mL) is sweet. Lots of honey notes. I like it, with a couple rocks and a touch of water. However, if you're into the Scotchier side of things, then I would recommend my other favorite...

Jefferson Reserve (~$50/750mL). Jefferson Reserve is dang tasty and isn't as sweet as Buffalo Trace. The flavor has more of a leathery/smokey profile. The interesting thing about it is that, on one particular night in a blind test, I could not differentiate Jack Daniels from Jefferson Reserve. I actually thought it was the same beverage in each glass. Maybe I had a bad night, I might have had a cold or allergies or something, but I couldn't tell them apart... until.... I added some water. It was a truly amazing experience. With just a hint of water, the Jack Daniels fell flat on its face and immediately started tasting watery. By contrast, the Jefferson Reserve started opening up and becoming far more interesting and far more complex.

And I'm not a huge scotch fan, but if I'm going to drink scotch, I like Highland Park. A lot.

I keep three bottles of bourbon around most of the time:

Sipping: Buffalo Trace mostly, sometimes Bulleit or Eagle Rare.
Drinkin': Wild Turkey 101
Mixing: Evan Williams

If I just want to get my swerve on, Turkey does the job well, and I don't drink up all my good bourbon. The Evan Williams is for people who want a mixed drink with whiskey in it -- It's cheap and tasty and you can even drink it straight in a pinch.

I wanted to mention that I do hate Woodford Reserve. Flat, uninteresting, disturbingly dry, doesn't take readily to water (doesn't open up). It's the upper class jack daniels for people who fancy themselves to be fancy.

It's one of the biggest advertisers for the Kentucky Derby, for instance. I'm not saying all advertised products suck, but well... I tend to be suspicious of products that advertise. After all, the only reason to advertise is that you have more supply than demand... and it seems certain companies ALWAYS have more supply than demand, which make me wonder why nobody is buying their product. To me, the high profile ad campaigns is like the charities that spend 80+% of their charitable contributions soliciting charitable contributions... LOL... They spend all their money soliciting for something good. Then when they get your money, they put 20% into the "good" and invest the other 80% into more soliciting. Sure, some can argue that if it's really good, then it shouldn't matter. This is true. However, wouldn't you be likely to get a better product if you spent 100% of your money on whiskey, rather than giving 80% to a company for their ad campaign?

This is especially true of a product such as whiskey that has to age. Coke or Pepsi, I can kind of understand because they can just turn on a tap and produce more product (but I still think they suck). But whiskey must be aged... so how is it that they keep over-supplying their demand to such a degree that they must continually advertise? I can only surmise that people just must not be buying it.... ;)

As for my liquor cabinet... I have...

Jefferson Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Canadian Mist (good in a manhattan), Evan Williams (it gives me a hangover, so I serve it to my enemies), Jim Beam Rye (at $10 a bottle, it can't be beat!), Tullamore Dew, and Clontarf Reserve.

Oh.. and if you like ryes, try Templeton Rye. It's the most amazingly rye-eyest rye I could ever imagine. It's freakin awesome.

I grew up in Frankfort, KY. I have to go with my people at Buffalo Trace & Ancient Age.

Elmer T. Lee & George T. Stagg are two of the best for sure. Like another poster said snag the George T. if you see it (~$70/bottle).

Others I like are: Willet, Ancient Age 10 year, Four Roses Single, Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Benchmark is an excellent bourbon at $9 bottle you will be very surprised.

I've heard Pappy Van Winkle is the best. I havn't been able to try the more expensive bourbons. I do love me some Jim Beam Black though.

And for the gun range, I have had many of fun times there shooting and watching the shoot.

Most good stuff has already been mentioned but I will add my opinion just for the sake of post count ;)

Good - reasonable price, easy to find - Woodford Reserve.
Better - - not easy (for me) to find unless I'm in the distillery giftshop - Evan Williams 18yr old.
Best - Blantons.

I've also had (and liked) Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare, but those are both a little harder to come by around here.

For a cheap anytime sipper - pour in a recipe - drizzle over a ribeye....aka the old standby......Old Charter 10yr.

Bourbon: Ridgemont Reserve 1792
Scotch: Talisker, Lagavulin, Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish
Irish: Bushmill's 10 year single malt
Vodka: Hangar 1
Tequila: Herradura Reposado (anejo is too smoothed out)
Cognac: Gabriel Andreu Borderies (better than the pricier petit/grande champagne cognacs from GA)
Rum: Cruzan Single Barrel

Knob Creek and Makers Mark are my staples. My wife's coin got me into bourbons with the Eagle Reserve 18 year stuff. He also sparked my interest in homebrewing...

Latest posts

Back