Kiwi wine using wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I'm planning on making some kiwi wine and was wondering if there was way to do it with the wild yeast on the fruit itself. initially I was planning on skinning them first and use some yeast but I couldn't buy any (anything alcohol related is illegal here).
-So my question is, is it possible to just mash them like with grapes and let it do it's thing?
-Do i have to wash it first?
-wouldn't the skin give off any foul taste to the final product?

It should do something, it might make wine, it might make vinegar, or is could just make a foul juice. that is the fun of wild yeast, you might get a fantastic wine or you might get nothing.

s
It should do something, it might make wine, it might make vinegar, or is could just make a foul juice. that is the fun of wild yeast, you might get a fantastic wine or you might get nothing.
Can rinse them in water? would it remove the yeasts too? I might wash half of them and leave the other half unwashed just to see what happens.

anything alcohol related is illegal here

even bread? :confused:

It should do something, it might make wine, it might make vinegar,

i believe aceto bacter needs fresh o2, so as long as you keep it anerobic, shouldn't get vinegar.... @RPh_Guy knows more about such things, maybe he'll help you out....

-So my question is, is it possible to just mash them like with grapes and let it do it's thing?
-Do i have to wash it first?
-wouldn't the skin give off any foul taste to the final product?
Mash and let ferment - yes.
Wash - no, unless some kind of pesticide or herbicide was sprayed on it recently, then rinse with water.
Skins - not a problem.

However the resulting wine may be a bit tart and/or low alcohol. That's why most recipes suggest adding water and sugar.

A failure is almost always the result of a poor process.
@bracconiere is right about vinegar; it's easy to avoid.

If I didn't have access to basic winemaking supplies, I would mash the fruit (freeze and thaw first if possible), add an equal amount of sugar water (about 13-18% sugar), cover with a towel to keep out insects, stir daily, transfer (siphon) to another container after about 5 days of active bubbling, cover that, trying to keep it air-tight (airlock if you can get one, otherwise plastic wrap and a rubber band might work), let that finish over a few weeks, taste it, if it's good siphon the liquid into another container and put that into the refrigerator.

Cheers

A failure is almost always the result of a poor process.
@bracconiere is right about vinegar; it's easy to avoid.

thank you for confirming i'm only 'mostly an idiot'.....lol, i learned about vinegar from good eats.....

and i have to say kiwi wine sounds like it'd be good! (but pricey)

thanks for all the info! and I just realized I've made this topic in the brewing section, sorry about that!

Kiwi wine sounds interesting!
When I was in Iran, I was offered "homebrew" by a friend's brother who made it by adding sugar and yeast to malt beer. He was surprised to learn that I use a different process ^^

Stay safe

I filtered and transferred the must into this container and DIYed an airlock (of which I'm very proud!) it's been a day since the transfer. I'm only worried about the foam is it normal? it's not like mold.
YRcjvNP.jpg

Fu64w0r.jpg

I think I might have ran into trouble.
Here's what I did from start, I left a mixture of sugar water and mashed kiwis in a container covered with a cloth to ferment for six days then filtered and transferred the juice to another container, put an airlock on it then left it in room temp in darkness. it bubbled for 3 days but the 4th day when I checked it, the bubbling had stopped.
Is this normal? If not what could be the reason for the sudden halt of fermentation?
Everyone says it takes at least 2 weeks.
When I touched the jar the foamy part sank down. I read somewhere in the forum this is a sign the fermentation is done, is this the case?

The room temp might have been a little low but it was colder the first days I never checked the temp cause it wasn't hot, cold didn't occur to me.:no:

If you can obtain a hydrometer that measures 0.980 to 1.160 or so, that would be extremely helpful for monitoring fermentation progress.

Tasting it would be a better indicator of whether it's finished than just looking at it.

Back