Kitchen Sink, aka use up random grain / hops table beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Some of you might be following the Bootleg Biology Oslo thread, but if not, some of us (me among them) are experiencing some extremely tart beers with the strain. I brewed a marzen that turned out extremely tart. I wasn't sure if it was my water chemistry (i used a different tool than normal and was really unsure about the additions) or if it's the yeast.

To test this, I wanted to brew up a really quick table beer using some misc stuff I had on hand. The recipe looks like this:

* 3.75 gallons of filtered, unadjusted, water
* 2lb 3oz white wheat
* 15 oz pilsner
* 15 oz vienna

* 1/4oz columbus @30
* 3/4oz columbus @wp
* 1/4oz uk goldings @wp

* 1/2tsp yeast nutrient @15
* 1/2tsp irish moss @15

60 minute mash @ 152'F, BIAB w/ sous vide
45 minute boil

OG: ~1.034
2.5 gallons into fermenter

Pitched 2 tbsp oslo slurry @ 87'F, holding it at 86'F for fermentation.

I'm really hoping the marzen was just a water chemistry issue and the yeast isn't the problem. I have absolutely no clue what this beer will end up tasting like, but as long as it's not tart i'll be happy with a >4.5% table beer.

An update: 11 days post pitch I just tried a sample and there is absolutely no off flavor. It's a little lacking in flavor on its own and might be slightly high on the IBUs for my liking, so i'll probably add some apricot puree to it.

Back