Kitchen fridge friendly keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattbastard

Reaction score
Keg2.jpg

Keg1.jpg

I bought that 2.5 gal corny kit Williams brewing sells from a friend and made some changes. First, I force carbed this beer. Then tossed the picnic tap, attached 5' of beer line, and attached a rebuilt tap I got from my craigslist score of kegging equipment.

The base is built out of 3/4" white particle board and 3/4" hardwood scrap lying around the basement of the house I just bought. I traced the outline of the keg in one piece, cut it out, then cut the front one a bit longer for the tap and 1/2" higher so the keg would tilt back. Before I filled the keg though I bent the dip tube towards the bottom edge so I'd get every last drop out. When the pressure drops, I just give a quick blast from the 12 gram CO2 dispenser. That rebuilt tap is nice, but I've already got the Perlick on order. I was gone for 3 days and she was stuck a bit even though I keg-lubed all the working parts before putting it back together.

Oh, and the Bud is for boiling brats. :rockin:

It's my Alaskan Amber clone. Turned out pretty damn good too.

The woman likes my home brew, but sometimes she's only interested in a glass of wine. She's got her tapper, now I've got mine.

That is just pure genius. I have been racking my head trying to figure out a way to get the ol' Mr. Beer out of the fridge, full of Ed Wort's Apfelwien. Awesome idea!

cool idea. that looks like the same frigidaire refrigerator i have for my kegerator. how are the glass shelves holding up to the weight of the keg?

It's deflecting a little bit, about 1/4", but nothing too concerning. If I set a 12 pack of bottles next to it centered on the shelf I'd probably have to brace the underside of the shelf with some steel, which I might do in the near future.

I like the glass shelves much better than the wire ones. My last fridge had the wire and bottles would occasionally play dominoes with each other. :mad:

Awesome Idea! Just one question: I understand the "Bud" for the brats notion, but what's whith the boxed wine? ;)

Keg2.jpg

Keg1.jpg

I bought that 2.5 gal corny kit Williams brewing sells from a friend and made some changes. First, I force carbed this beer. Then tossed the picnic tap, attached 5' of beer line, and attached a rebuilt tap I got from my craigslist score of kegging equipment.

The base is built out of 3/4" white particle board and 3/4" hardwood scrap lying around the basement of the house I just bought. I traced the outline of the keg in one piece, cut it out, then cut the front one a bit longer for the tap and 1/2" higher so the keg would tilt back. Before I filled the keg though I bent the dip tube towards the bottom edge so I'd get every last drop out. When the pressure drops, I just give a quick blast from the 12 gram CO2 dispenser. That rebuilt tap is nice, but I've already got the Perlick on order. I was gone for 3 days and she was stuck a bit even though I keg-lubed all the working parts before putting it back together.

Oh, and the Bud is for boiling brats. :rockin:

Awesome Idea! Just one question: I understand the "Bud" for the brats notion, but what's whith the boxed wine? ;)

It's the ol' lady's sippin' tea. We have a Reisling kit, but these last few weekends she's been working and I want to make it with her, not by myself like I do all my beers.

I'm actually planning on cleaning out that bag when it's empty, sanitizing it, then somehow filling it with the Reisling if that's possible.

Unless they make mini plastic kegs for wine??? :D

Back