Kitchen brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake_Allen

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the home brewing scene and want to get all that I need to start brewing 1 gallon ish batches. What are the best/prefered items and equipment I'll need if I'm going to be brewing in a kitchen (I.E. boiling on a stove, chilling in a tub, etc.)

A decent stainless steel stock pot (you probably already have one) for doing your boils.

A glass jug (available for about $5 at any LHBS)

sanitizer (iodophor or star san, again, available at any LHBS)

some nylon boiling bags for hops (LHBS)

a decent metal or poly spoon (I try to avoid cheap wood spoons, and scratched plastic or poly isn't great)

a thermometer (I prefer digital instant read for smaller boils)

a fermometer (for the glass jug, to measure fermenting temperatures)

a funnel

a racking cane w/ tubing and bottling wand

Bottle capper

Basically, go to any LHBS and tell them what you posted here . . . they should be able to give you the hook-up :)

My wife likes the Carlo rossi sangria so I buy her the one gal jug of it, then use the jug once its empty.
That or I pour the wine out into a clean gallon water jug Haha.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers!

Edit: A hydrometer is also a must have!

Or you can get 1 gallon kits from Northern Brewer & Midwest supplies. It'll have what you need to get started. I prefer long plastic spoon & paddles,as they won't scratch a plastic fermenter like metal will. Take care of plastic equipment with some common sense,& they'll last forever.

If you're set on 1 gallong batches okay, but in my limited experience 5 gallons batches even seem small. You'll be surprised how hard it will be to keep up with consumption. :D IMO there is way too much effort in the brew process to make a single gallon, plus you will have to be extra careful with your fermentation temps as 1 gallon can fluctuate quite quickly.

If you're set on 1 gallong batches okay, but in my limited experience 5 gallons batches even seem small. You'll be surprised how hard it will be to keep up with consumption. :D IMO there is way too much effort in the brew process to make a single gallon, plus you will have to be extra careful with your fermentation temps as 1 gallon can fluctuate quite quickly.

May be true.

But a one gallon to five gallon upgrade is simply a matter of replacing the one gallon jug with a with a larger vessel, a fermenting bucket or a carboy. All the other equipment will do for any size.

+++++

The second post forgot the bottling bucket (for one gallon any food grade container that will hold 1-gallon.

And the second poster forgot an airlock:

So here's my modification of masterfools suggestions (my changes in bold; my comments in italics, otherwise masterfools):

------------------

A decent stainless steel stock pot (you probably already have one) for doing your boils.

A glass jug (available for about $5 at any LHBS; or you can buy a jug of cheap wine or apple juice))

a stopper (no. 6 for a gallon but other size for others)

an airlock (one size fits all)

"blowoff tube" (the base of an airlock and a few feet of plastic tubing from a hardware store. This is in lieau of an airlock for the first few days of fermentation to prevent krausen/foam blowing through the stopper and out the airlock. It's not nesc. if you have plenty of head room but with a one gallon jug and a one gallon brew...)

sanitizer (iodophor or star san, again, available at any LHBS)

some nylon boiling bags for hops (LHBS) (not a requirement as you cal boil hops directly if you want.)

muslin bags for specialty grains (if you are doing extracts; if you are doing all-grain you might want a strainer, colander, or a nylon bag. Paint strainer bags are excellent and cheap.)

a decent metal or poly spoon (I try to avoid cheap wood spoons, and scratched plastic or poly isn't great)

a thermometer (I prefer digital instant read for smaller boils)

a fermometer (for the glass jug, to measure fermenting temperatures)(your LHBS can hook you up. You can use terrerium thermometer or an adhesive strip thermometer; technically this isn't required but as fermenting temps are 5 to 10 degrees higher than room temp and bad temp control leads to off-tastes, you'll probably want one.)

a funnel

a hydrometer

a racking cane w/ tubing and bottling wand (the tubing can be bought in any hardware store by the foot)

Bottling bucket (the only other thing that is size specific); for a one gallon batch any food grade bucket will do but for larger batches you'll probably want a bucket specifiaclly for bottling (they'll have a spigot)

Bottle capper (and caps)

------------

You can get all the equipment *and* the ingredients for your first batch for 40 dollars from Brooklyn brew shop. There's other places that sell one gallon kits too. The tubing and airlocks are pretty cheap. It's the carboys and buckets that make equipment expensive and one gallon containers are significantly cheaper.

Rather than fermenter and bottling buckets, stopper and airlocks (I still use the tubing and a bottle wand though), I have 3 Mr. Beer "little brown kegs" which which although I despise the *concept* of a "Mr. Beer" (geez, what is this? Kindergarten) actually work really well for fermenting and storage and only cost $10 each. Well, it's not for everyone but it is an option out there. I also have 2 a gallon glass jubs for Carlo Rossi and Apple Juice.

As far as the fermenting bucket goes, will letting a 1 or 2 gallon batch ferment in a 5-gallon not allow proper fermentation because of the excess air or is it simply over kill?

It WILL ferment, but I don't know that a 1 gallon batch will allow for a proper C02 layer in a 5 gallon bucket. Thus you could end up with oxidation. I recommend using a smaller bucket . . . but a glass jug is best.

Woozy, thanks for adding in those items. I knew as I was writing that I was forgetting some things . . .

One-gallon batches do seem small, but I recommend just finding a suitable container. If you choose a glass jug as has been mentioned, make sure it's one that will not shatter from the kind of pressure that fermentation creates.

It WILL ferment, but I don't know that a 1 gallon batch will allow for a proper C02 layer in a 5 gallon bucket. Thus you could end up with oxidation. I recommend using a smaller bucket . . . but a glass jug is best.

Woozy, thanks for adding in those items. I knew as I was writing that I was forgetting some things . . .

It will be fine in a 5 gal bucket. CO2 is heavier than air so you will always have a barrier between the beer an oxygen no matter the size of the vessel. Comerical breweries do half batches and there are no issues with oxidation. It is ineffiecent which is why they don't do it often.....but its done.

Back