kit for christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fear

Reaction score
Hi , Got a Smashing Pumpkin kit for christmas and was wonder if I can save this kit till next fall? I was thinking about either brewing and not adding the Pumpkin spice pak. or just putting the whole kit in the refrigerator? Any ideas?

Also note that kit has 0 pumpkin flavor they give you 1 tablespoon of spice for 5 gallons you will not taste that

There is an article over on BYO that describes how long various types of malt are good for: https://byo.com/article/shelf-life-storing-your-ingredients/

The short version is that liquid extract has a shelf life of about 2 years before it starts to degrade. You should be fine waiting till the fall.

That is greatly dependent on when the extract was made and how old the kit is. Was the kit fresh and put together this past fall? In which case it should be fine.

I don't know how to tell when an NB kit was packaged. If in doubt, brew it now and enjoy.

Interesting question. Dry malt extract, if its well packaged, I wouldn't have any trouble with keeping it for a six months. Liquid malt extract, if its well packaged, should be fine but I'm with you in that I would be questioning it, also. Wish we could give you a definitive answer.

Back