Kit beer help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatdrumcorpsguy

Reaction score
Been trying to do my research and start out with the best first batch. I have experience with wine making so I have pretty much all the equip and sanitizing skills and what not.

Just a question about kit beer. What's the best way to combine everything I have/ what's best with what

image-351917222.jpg

image-1843132705.jpg

image-3703844715.jpg

image-3389873746.jpg

Been trying to do my research and start out with the best first batch. I have experience with wine making so I have pretty much all the equip and sanitizing skills and what not.

Just a question about kit beer. What's the best way to combine everything I have/ what's best with what

Well,sir, first off, did they not provide you with instructions with your kit? It appears to be an extract kit from the photos you posted. From my experience (vastly outdated for extract brewing), the first two photos may be combined in the requied amount of water and brought to a boil for 60 minutes. Unless otherwise instructed, the hops go in at the start of a good boil, seeing there is only one oz. and pilsen is not usually late hopped.
The corn sugar is to be mixed with the fermented beer and then bottled and capped to provide carbination after a week or so. apparently. you are to use some of the corn sugar in the boil, because 1 oz to one gallon of fermented beer is the all around bottling ratio. I can't say much else from the photos. Good luck with your brew, and carefull not to make bottle bombs.....

It did but I read that DME Or LME is better than sugar so I was wondering if this pilsner CBW would work with the kit.

If not how can I utilize the CBW and hops in their own batch?

Agree with the above, but it looks like you have 4lbs of sugar? I son't think I'd use it all in my beer. The most sugar I've ever added to a beer (I think) is a pound. If it's for priming the bottles, you'd need a lot less - think 4-5 ounces for a full five gallon batch.

Other than that, the mixing and hopping schedule above will get you beer. I also don't see any yeast in those photos. What have you got? Temp control will be important, too.

Since you already have the extra LME, you could do either of the following ( I'm assuming the Muntons is prehopped and no-boil?):

A) Use both cans of extract together and use NO corn sugar until you bottle. Add unhopped extract and hops to kettle and boil for somewhere between 30-45 mins - longer boiling will mean more bitterness, but you will already have some bitterness from the Muntons if it is a hopped extract kit. If the Muntons is NOT prehopped, just boil the hops for a full hour instead. Add end of boil, add the Muntons extract and stir to dissolve. Chill, add to fermentor, rehydrate & pitch yeast.

B) Use each can separately, each with 2 lbs of corn sugar. The hops would go with the CBW extract and you would boil for an hour. This is a common practice for "kit & kilo" kits. You will need more corn sugar when you bottle, probably 4-5 oz for each batch as stated above.

I also suggest that you just follow the directions with the kit. Learn more about brewing before doing any experimenting. If you change things willy-nilly you will not know what your final outcome will be, other than beer. You could take a perfectly good kit and make something you will not want to drink.

Do you have a fermentation chamber or spare fridge? It looks like you're planning to brew a lager which requires temperature control at lower than room temp.

Back