Kilju/Sugar Wine Brewing Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomslang

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post in here.
Recently ive been trying to brew some sugar wine using turbo yeast which I was told would ferment for 5 days.
I followed a recipie of 0.5kg sugar : 4.5l water : 13g turbo yeast.
Everything was sanitised wnd completely clean, i thought my first batch went bad.

Im trying to produce a gallon of it, 5 litres. My problem is the must ferments very rapidly in the first 24 hours, but then grinds to a complete halt after, this has happened on both occasions and they've both produced a rotten egg smell.

Can someone please point out what im doing wrong or what I need to change?

Thank you!

Yeast need more than just sugars to survive. YEast nutrient is just a spoonful of everything else they need to be healthy.
That rotten egg smell is a sign that the yeast is under stress.

Yeast need more than just sugars to survive. YEast nutrient is just a spoonful of everything else they need to be healthy.
That rotten egg smell is a sign that the yeast is under stress.

Thanks Chris, I've bought some yeast nutrient and am ready to add some to my next batch of kilju.

Will let you know how it goes homie

hi, so... .5kg in 4.5litres of water makes an alcohol content of around 5% alcohol. kind of a low abv for a drink like this, it probably will not taste very good.

my short advice- i think some people interested in homebrewing want to try to make booze as cheaply as possible. however, trust me, scaling up a tiny bit to just buying some liquid malt extract or even using apple juice as a test run for homebrew will help you hugely and make it seem more worth your while.

if you haven't done a second batch yet, try getting some preservative free apple juice and buying an s-05 or s-04 yeast from a homebrew shop (probably 2-3 dollars). give it at least two weeks (ideally 3 or 4) and let the yeast settle out. try this apple cider and i think you'll prefer it over kilju imho. :)

Back