Kidproof keezer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplethorpe

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a solution to keep small kids from pulling the taps on your keezer? The tap locks are kind of expensive and unscrewing the handles still leaves something to be played with. I have all the stuff to build the collar and attach the taps but my searches have not provided much help as far as kidproofing. Any thoughts?

I never even thought about it, my kids just know better then to touch my taps...

Now that my daughter is a teenager I am contemplating a padlock and disconnecting the lines when I leave.

You really don't need to worry about it until they are tall enough to reach them, by then they should know better. Freezer taps are up pretty high.

I probably will have to just disconnect the lines. I was just hoping someone had built a cover or something that may work.

Not sure where I saw this (surely on HBT somewhere), but since you are building the collar, building something like this on it seems easy enough:

taplock.jpg

Maybe you could build something along the lines of a piano cover, like the thing you close to protect the keys, you could build a box-like thing that swings open and shut that you can lock?

If you wanted to get fancy,

You could also implement something like kegbot. Electric solenoids in line of the beer lines and password protected.

there's a thread around here somewhere that has a key-lock that triggers ball valves on all the beer lines. I tried searching but it's late and my brain is fried. But as i recall the solution was elegant, simple, cheap, and aesthetic.

I have a 3 and 5 year old that are both crazy kids, but I made it abundantly clear that playing with the beer faucets means instant punishment.
We had a birthday party with almost 50 kids last summer. I just disconnected the lines. Didnt want 15 gallons of beer on the kitchen floor!

I am thinking of going with a high collar (8 inches) and the a tower on top of the keezer for that exact reason I figure by the time he can reach it he will know he shouldn't touch it. ( he is 1.5 now)

Never tried it, but one of those clamps they use for rubber hoses, usually automotive, just clamp one of those suckers on the lines close to the taps, sure, they'll get a little bit, but not enough, and you'll know if they tampered with it because there will be some air on the first pour. Then of course lock the lid.

I am thinking of going with a high collar (8 inches) and the a tower on top of the keezer for that exact reason I figure by the time he can reach it he will know he shouldn't touch it. ( he is 1.5 now)

That's what I did, and it puts my tap handles ~5' off the ground. By the time my 1 yr old can reach them, I hope she's knows better. :mug:

If I were you I would find a valve that is turned by a key(or make one) that would disconnect the line inside the keezer and you could just turn it on and off from the outside. This would be very cheap to construct.

Good luck. I have a 4 year old that know he should not touch it but i find him into everything he is not suppose to touch. and he can get into anything in the house with just a little trial and error. When I get started on my keezer I will have a tower with doors on it so I can lock it closed when nit in use. Locks are the only way to keep an inquisitive kid out of stuff

Good luck. I have a 4 year old that know he should not touch it but i find him into everything he is not suppose to touch. and he can get into anything in the house with just a little trial and error. When I get started on my keezer I will have a tower with doors on it so I can lock it closed when nit in use. Locks are the only way to keep an inquisitive kid out of stuff

Is yours in your house? Mine is in the garage and isn't somewhere he will really hang out.

Build a coffin style keezer? That will at least give you some more time unless they manage to actually climb on top of the keezer. My taps are probably ~5' high and ~20" from the front edge of the keezer. Gotta have quite a bit of height and reach to get to them without climbing onto the keezer...

Though I will say I like the idea of a shock collar. Put some of that invisible fencing under the carpeting around the keezer and require the chitlins to wear "house shoes" where you can plant the zapper. That's not child abuse, just constructive reinforcement, right?

This is true. Once they learn to move chairs around they are UP into stuff.

What would the bluetooth or proximity card reader be called? I tried a search on EBAY and didn't really find what I was looking for.

Mine is in the garage, but I was speaking of anything up high. They are into it. I have even found my middle child now 4 but at 3 he was into the top of the cupboards playing hid and seek...I plan on making a tower with doors that I can close and lock. I also plan an have my keezer looking like a piece of furniture so my wife will tolerate it in the house

Along the same thinking as hose clamps might be zip ties. There are kind that can be opened and closed as opposed to the one use kind.

Back