Kid sneezes in mash, news in 2-3 weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperypick

Reaction score
OK, so my daughter was dutifully observing my mash-in, when about halfway through the process, she sneezed. She was about a foot or so away from the mash tun. I saw no flying debris/boogies, but I fear that she may have contaminated the mash at least with some saliva mist. ("Saliva Sparge...? Anyone? Anyone...?")
Not wishing to abandon my brew efforts completely, I continued with my brew day. I'm a little worried though. In theory the boil should have taken care of any microbes and such, not to mention the hops. Still, should I be worried?

I mashed this and then vented it for 24 hours. Smelled awful. I scraped the top off, sparged, boiled, and now it tastes great. Everyone loves it from craft drinkers to bud light drinkers, which really surprised me.

Boiling will take care of everything.

moldymash.jpg

pre-boil = don't worry.

I may not be as lucky as you. I was brewing Saturday and dropped a screwdriver into the wort while connecting my chiller. I'm hoping that it was still hot enough to avoid contamination. We will see.

Haha, it's my Kentucky Common. I mashed for an hour and set the lid on it upside down so it could vent, and apparently that was a bad idea. It's supposed to sit for at least 24 hours to sour a little bit. Turned out great though, hah. Next time I will be keeping the lid on the whole time to prevent that. Speaking of which, I'm about to go mash in for the next Kentucky Common.

There are a few organisms that can survive boiling if they are in the spore stage. Very few.

Thanks all, I figured as much. 'Preciate the feedback! Honestly I'm a little more concerned about the fact that I forgot to add Irish Moss...
Oh, and that Kentucky Common...? Um... That looks baaaaad. But it sounds like you made out well with it anyway!

Irish Moss just helps with clarity. Worst case, it's cloudy. I've only used it in like half of my beers if that.

Haha, yea it smelled as bad as it looked. It was fine underneath that though. Mashing it again right now. Keeping the lid on this time :D . Just goes to show you, seemingly bad things can turn out just find in this hobby.

One thing positive about this batch will be the cool name you will give it...lol...Snot-nosed Pale Ale...Kiddos Kentucky Kommon...Bless You Sour Mash...etc...You be the judge...lol

Recusit8m, those ROCK. As it is, I was going to name it Bathroom Brown II (my first extract brew was B.B., as I had to ferment it in the bathroom of my apt), but I like your titles ALOT!
globeboxxr, thanks! I like to provide the chuckles when I can!

SWMBO recently admitted while she was speaking she accidentally sprayed my cooled wort with saliva :D. Its fine. Luckily she didn't tell me when it happended - I would have panicked.

We should have a "What dropped/fell/sprayed/crawled in my wort/mash, and it came out great" thread. May bring down the stress level for more than a few.

Back