Kicking the crystal (malt) habit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
For years I routinely used crystal malt in pretty much everything I brewed, even pale ales and IPAs. I don't like a bone-dry beer, so I figured crystal would keep things a bit sweeter. But the last several APA/IPA batches I've just gone 100% base malt, and they have been phenomenal. I mash around 152 for most of these and they are slightly sweet and just great... I never realized that I didn't really like the flavor contributions from crystal malt. I'll still use it in some styles (ordinary bitter is one I do a lot), but I'm leaving it out of more and more beers and pretty much never regretting that.

(I do use a little Munich when I want some maltier flavors.)

Amen.

I'm a big believer that crystal malts are over used, but I like my pale ales pale, not loaded with 60L for a "nice copper color".

That's not to say I don't really like Caramel malts in the right spot. Use them in a pale ale with a very light touch? We can still be friends. Add depth to something malty or dark? Awesome! But there is no reason for caramel malts to be 20% of a dry and pale recipe.

I use an oz of patent malt to correct colour rather than any crystal. I made the driest stout I've ever drunk with just pale and black malt.

I agree. There is a time and a place for crystal malt. But the time isn't "all the time" and the place isn't "every place."

I've been reworking my recipes so that they are simpler and usually the first thing I do is reduce or eliminate the crystal malt.

Me too, haven't used any crystal in a while, using a lot of two row, wheat, Vienna and Munich.

More wheat is also refreshing at like 10-30% in some of my ales.

I just did the same thing with an IPA. I used to use some crystal-20 and mash around 149. This time it's just base malt and some Munich, mashed at 152. Just kegged it, so we shall see what happens.

For years I routinely used crystal malt in pretty much everything I brewed, even pale ales and IPAs. I don't like a bone-dry beer, so I figured crystal would keep things a bit sweeter. But the last several APA/IPA batches I've just gone 100% base malt, and they have been phenomenal. I mash around 152 for most of these and they are slightly sweet and just great... I never realized that I didn't really like the flavor contributions from crystal malt. I'll still use it in some styles (ordinary bitter is one I do a lot), but I'm leaving it out of more and more beers and pretty much never regretting that.

(I do use a little Munich when I want some maltier flavors.)

Oh shazam he's gone west coast on us.

Me three :)

I still have a lot of exploring to do... I'm prepping to do some smash brews just to get a feel for the specific grains and hops. Otherwise I've been doing quite a bit of English styles that usually have around 10% or less crystal in them. I do have a really simple American wheat beer recipe I'd like to do that has no crystal in it at some point in the future. I think if it did have crystal in it, it may take away from what I would call the "crisp" quality of it. Hmmm...

DOWN WITH CRYSTAL!

I've never been a fan of crystal malt. I've always had a sensitivity to the caramel flavor it lends to beer. That and I like dry beer, so that helps too.

Back