Kettle vs. Burner diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaytagMan

Reaction score
I am in need in a 5 gallon kettle to use on my electric radiant cooktop to brew some small batches (1-2 gallon full volume BIAB)

(I assume a 5 gallon kettle would be an appropriate size, and I already have a 15 gallon kettle for when I start larger batches.)

Anyway, my stove is an electric "smooth top" (radiant) range, and the large burners are 9-3/4" in diameter.

Given that burner size, how big could the diameter of my kettle be and still work well? I want to be sure and get a kettle that will work well with it.

Thanks so much for the info!

Bill

I brew 5 gallon batches in an old turkey fryer on my stove. It works... Here's a picture of my $100 HERMS system.

IMG_1616.jpg

I don't think that you won't find much choice. 5 gallon pots are very close in diameter from one mfg to another.

I got a stainless steel pot at a local discount chain for under $20. It is thin but good enough for small batches. Mine has a raised section so it takes a little longer to heat. Look for a flat bottom.

Cool, thanks for the info!

I figured there wouldn't be much to choose from, so I'll just get as close as I can with the flattest bottom possible.

Back