Kettle Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone use kettle thermometers with out issues? I just bought a new kettle and I added on a thermometer with a 2in probe because it was basically free with the Black Friday sale. I don't want to rip my bag.
View attachment 378644

I used one with a 3-4" probe without issue for a long time.

I removed it as i wanted to use the hole for something else and the thermometer offers little to no user benefit to me.

You know it's there so ripping a bag is a non-issue. Just slide a spoon between the bag and the probe upon removal. No worries whatsoever.

Here is a recent thread covering some options and cheap products if you decided to remove the thermometer at some point.

Looks like a solid kettle. Congrats

I have a 3 inch probe in a 16 gallon pot, has no issues. If I have a big grain bill, I'll put my spoon in and push it away from the stem, but honestly I usually forget.

I didn't like the idea of the probe and the bag so I just drilled a small hole in my lid and use a long stem thermometer.
This was exactly how I did my first BIAB kettle. It was near the middle of the lid (hence, the mash), where the temperature was very stable, unlike around the edges, where the cooling is more obvious.

This was exactly how I did my first BIAB kettle. It was near the middle of the lid (hence, the mash), where the temperature was very stable, unlike around the edges, where the cooling is more obvious.

Yep, and then I just put the little clip back on the thermometer and clip it to the side of the kettle while bringing up to boil so I know how close I am. Then back into the lid for chilling.

Well it sounds like it will be a non issue. That's good!
I'll have to check out that link Gavin. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back