kettle soured fruit ale help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade

Reaction score
Looking to make a kettle sour fruit ale. I had one a toppling Goliath brewery in Decatur iowa. Has Dragon fruit, mango and passion fruit purée. Was wondering what beer style I start with it’s only 10 ibu and 4.2 alc. If someone could help me make a recipie that would be great. You can look up the beer on internet that I would like to clone it’s called dragon Fandango. Thanks for anyone’s advice.

Brew a simple wort of 50/50 pils or 2 row and wheat around 1.035, pref acidify with lactic acid to 4.5 pH or lower. Pitch lacto Plantarum and seal it up for a couple days at room temp. Give it a brief boil with a handful of something tropical like Citra, them chill and ferment with a clean ale yeast. Once fermentation is finished, rack onto your fruit purees - dragonfruit is pretty light in flavor and could probably be left out or replaced with prickly pear without much impact - and secondary for a week or two before packaging at a fairly high carb level (maybe 3 volumes).

This will get you in the ballpark. From there, tweak and rebrew. From my experience with a passion fruit gose, don't bother stashing any bottles away. It will be best young.

This is hilarious. I just posted on making a sour a few days ago or so. I've never made one . Since I've posted I've seen others inquire about sours . Pretty funny . Search making a sour and you will find what you need .

@FatDragon , just seen your post .

Just a FYI, putting fruit in secondary will ferment out alot of flavor. I suggest mashing low, using a neutral yeast, then adding a juice or puree. Letting fruit ferment in secondary hasn't been great for me in terms of fruit expression.

Just curious , what's the difference of using puree and fruit . Isnt puree just fruit that's been smashed or blended up?

Just curious , what's the difference of using puree and fruit . Isnt puree just fruit that's been smashed or blended up?

Correct. Puree has alot more solids and may be better off in secondary as opposed to juice which can be added directly to a keg without worrying about chunky beer.

Just a FYI, putting fruit in secondary will ferment out alot of flavor. I suggest mashing low, using a neutral yeast, then adding a juice or puree. Letting fruit ferment in secondary hasn't been great for me in terms of fruit expression.

Probably need to use more fruit then, there is a pretty big jump in flavor profile going from 1 to 2 lb/gal for most fruits.

Yeah. That's on the low end for most fruited beers, though it varies across a very wide range depending on the type of fruit and the style of beer, among other things.

Back