Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would spent the extra money on the better kettle.
I have had my experience with a cheap kettle and It is so annoying when the thing pops and bends as you are adding water or pouring from it.
The thin bottom will cause more malliard reactions, which leads to darker color and sometimes amore burnt flavor. You can actually the wort on the bottom burning (or flash boiling) That can be *reduced* by constant stirring, which is a PITA.

If you are going to stay with the hobby (as most do once going AG) I'd recommend the heavy duty model. That looks to be a really nice combonations of quality and cost.

I would add, too, that even eight gallons is a little on the small side for doing AG batches (especially anything of real size when you've done a big sparge). I love my keggle, I couldn't imagine brewing with only half the volume again.

Well Iam going to do alot of extract brewing for awhile. I dont see me going to AG for at least another year (i dont have the space iam in college) The Kettle has 0.8mm thick Sides and bottom. Is that really to thin? Thanks

the_bird said:
I would add, too, that even eight gallons is a little on the small side for doing AG batches (especially anything of real size when you've done a big sparge). I love my keggle, I couldn't imagine brewing with only half the volume again.

Total agreement. I just need to make a dolly to wheel it back and forth so I don't kill my back.

Even if you're not planning on going AG right away, spend the extra $20 now rather than having to buy a whole new kettle in a year or two (a good kettle will last a LONG time). The better quality kettle will also make a difference in your brew day regardless of whether you are extract or AG.

Unless that thickness is a typo, I agree. 0.8mm is less than 1/16 of an inch thick. For example, my aluminum pot is 8mm thick and 10 gallons (40 qts.)! I wouldn't go less than ~4mm (~1/8"). Check a local restaurant supply house.

My wife got me the 8 gal pot listed on that site for my birthday last month and it's great! She got it from a local restaraunt supply store, so I'm not sure what the price was though.

I'd go with the 8 gal too.

Austin

Back