Kenmore Freezer thermostat bypass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerSchlitz

Reaction score
New to the forum but researched this topic and wanted to share my results.
I converted a Kenmore upright freezer model 253.xxxxxx into a fermenter. I’m using an Inkbird 308 as external thermostat. Everything worked perfect for 2 batches but then my internal thermostat failed. When my Inkbird tried to start cooling, the compressor and fan would start up but 3 seconds later it would cut out and an E error code flashed on my internal control panel. It seems that digital internal controller/thermostat don’t like external thermostats like the Inkbird taking over. Why? I don’t know but instead of buying a new internal thermostat I wanted to bypass it. Since I’m not an electrician I consulted a friend and he figured it out.
Below are pictures of what I did and a diagram and it worked!! Obviously not all freezers are like this but if this common freezer is what you have I hope this helps.
IMG_7835.JPG
56660935580__56F96460-5578-4B86-9B46-4A84199DAB5D.JPG
56660844101__A76C8F94-45E9-4B80-B8B4-CA721D6E34AB.JPG
IMG_7847.JPG
56661107167__49784BE9-3DEA-496D-B183-6BF9D40D411A.JPG
56661114541__E240996D-C957-4F4C-9C8C-528DC4067F50.JPG
IMG_7839.JPG

Basically cut the black and yellow and splice together (my picture doesn’t show them spliced but they are now. This was my final picture to my electrician friend before powering up) like I said, it works as does the fan and light.
Cheers and hope this helps someone!!!

This would be good information if you showed the actual wiring modification because there are many ways to interpret "cut the black and yellow and splice together" while only one way will actually work...

Cheers!

This would be good information if you showed the actual wiring modification because there are many ways to interpret "cut the black and yellow and splice together" while only one way will actually work...

Cheers!

Yeah its all put back together, so no more pics, but....
After pulling the connector out of the controller you can see the White-Black-Yellow-Orange wires.
Cut the Black and Yellow wires.
Take the long Black and Yellow wires (the ends that come from the back of the freezer and not the stubs left behind in the connector), strip 1 cm of each end and twist together and cover w a cap or electric tape.
Put a cap or tape over the stubs of wires that are left in the connector. These are now now of no use. I left several inches in case i was wrong or wanted to use the internal termostst in the future. Dont splice together these Black and Yellow that are left behind in the connector, I dont know what would happen, I just left them hanging freely w caps to cover the exposed wire.
Hope this clears things up a bit.

Latest posts

Back