Kenmore Chest Freezer (12909) build with two towers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundchuck

Reaction score
First off, thanks to HBT for all the awesome threads / resources on how to build a keezer!

I decided to start kegging recently because my bottler (wife) was in the local homebrew store with me and said "hey what are those shiny keg looking things?". Of course everyone within ear shot jumped into the discussion and convinced my wife that kegging is the way to go. She resigned as our official bottler on the ride home. :smack:

I guess it was only a matter of time before I was kegging so here we go.

I figured a good start would be 4 taps and I wanted to go the tower route rather than the collar route. I picked up the Freezer at Sears ($280ish) and then found a bunch of nice shiny bits to start the project.

Step one was temp control. I tried the Course Adjustment Screw method for about a week but I could not get the temp range that I wanted (it would swing from 34-50 in 24 hours). So I returned the screw to it's original position and then ordered the InkBird controller. I found a clean place to mount it in the side and wire it directly rather than have a box on the outside. Next I ordered some kegs (4 new + 1 used) and added some nifty labels. Next drill some scary holes in the lid of the freezer and mount the towers. Then, add a 10# tank and lines. And finally admire the work.

I just kegged my first 5 gallon batch of a dark scoth ale and I should be able to test it out soon (I am using the set and forget method while I am still learning how kegs work).

:mug:

Kegerator1.jpg

Kegerator2.jpg

Kegerator3.jpg

Kegerator4.jpg

Kegerator5.jpg

Kegerator8.jpg

Kegerator9.jpg

Kegerator10.jpg

Kegerator11.jpg

Kegerator14.jpg

Beautiful job. Where/how did you mount the temperature probe?

Thanks!

If you look closely in this picture you can see the probe hanging from the freezer lid on the right side.

I ran the probe line out the back of the compressor space, up the back side, then drilled a hole in the back of the lid and then through the lid liner on the inside. I didn't want anything to mess up the factory seal on the lid. I also put a few stainless washers on the temp probe to help pull it back down into postion when the lid goes up and down.

Kegerator19.jpg

I like what you did with the basket inside... :)

Thanks! I figured that would be much safer than trying to screw the regulators to the inside freezer. The 4 gang regulator bank just fit in there after I put a 90 elbow on the inlet to point it down rather than straigt out (towards the freezer wall). If you enlarge the basket image you can see the 90 that was needed.

Looks great! I'd get the temp probe into a bottle of water to more closely match the beer temp. Also consider adding a small USB computer fan to regulate the air temps and help reduce freezer cycles.

thumb2_img_2163-67018.jpg

is the USB fan necesary even with a temp controller on the unit?

Necessary, I have no idea. Most people had them so I figured it made sense. The theory is it keeps the air moving so the warm air doesn't rise to the top of the keezer. This should keep a more uniform temp inside the keezer and also help to keep the beer lines cold.

Necessary, I have no idea. Most people had them so I figured it made sense. The theory is it keeps the air moving so the warm air doesn't rise to the top of the keezer. This should keep a more uniform temp inside the keezer and also help to keep the beer lines cold.

This. And definitely put the temp probe in a bottle of water to help with temp swings and cycling of the freezer.

This. And definitely put the temp probe in a bottle of water to help with temp swings and cycling of the freezer.

I took one of those freezer bags that come with liquid yeast and cut it open. I then took the blue spongy stuff out of it, packed, it in a bottle and then stuck the probe into it. I works really well-seems to hold a really steady temp- and if it gets knocked over there is no spill

I took one of those freezer bags that come with liquid yeast and cut it open. I then took the blue spongy stuff out of it, packed, it in a bottle and then stuck the probe into it. I works really well-seems to hold a really steady temp- and if it gets knocked over there is no spill

I like this! I will have to do it too.

Looks great! I'd get the temp probe into a bottle of water to more closely match the beer temp. Also consider adding a small USB computer fan to regulate the air temps and help reduce freezer cycles.

I have the computer fan on my list of things to do next. I am trying to sort out where I want to mount it. I am thinking I might hang it below the basket but not sure yet.

Would love to copy this build! Would you be able to fit a nitrogen tank in there too?

Thanks!

I am not sure about the Nitro tank. I guess you could pull the fifth keg out to make room. I think I could just barely fit six kegs into it. So that can give you a feel for size available. (4 kegs and two tanks would probably fit snuggly.)

I figured a good start would be 4 taps and I wanted to go the tower route rather than the collar route.

I just had my first mini fridge kegerator die on me (not cooling). I am considering getting a small freezer and putting my two tap tower on it. How have you liked the tower on the keezer so far?

Do you have this right up against a wall? If so, do you just slide it out to change out kegs?

Are you just running one line from the CO2 tank to the manifold and then setting each keg individually? I have a dual-gauge regulator that I think I could just split downstream from each regulator to, in effect, have 4 gas lines (2 sets of 2), with 2 discrete gas controls.

Thanks,
Jason

is the USB fan necesary even with a temp controller on the unit?

I used this idea here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=301204 On My Keezer build here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494471&page=2

Refrigerators and some freezers blow air around the inside, creating a more accurate ambient temperature. These Freezers are Radiant cooling. They are designed to utilize frozen items surround each other to help keep things frozen. When there was no air movement, I found the beer in the tubing near the top of the collars to be warmer when they sat for a couple of hours. Circulating the air helps cool the entire ambient temperature in the Keezer as well as the beer lines on the top and taps.

Also, consider adding a couple of these to help bring the humidity down. You place them in the kegerator and the beads inside absorb the humidity. to recharge them back to new, you plug it in the wall overnight and the beads dry out. They work really well. http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-500-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=pd_sim_201_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TlLVOyhCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&refRID=0097QDMRG869KG1W5BH5

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my first mini fridge kegerator die on me (not cooling).
How have you liked the tower on the keezer so far?

Do you have this right up against a wall? If so, do you just slide it out to change out kegs?

Are you just running one line from the CO2 tank to the manifold and then setting each keg individually?

Jason,
Thanks for the comments!

I really like it so far. I just got into kegging and built this so I am learning kegging and about keezers at the same time. I like the tower set up quite a bit because it keeps the faucets out of harms way from random people walking by (not paying attention).

My keezer just slides against the wall. Many people use casters on the bottom but I wanted to keep it low so I put the sticky backed "slippery furniture sliders" under the feet so it slides in and out fairly easily. (Not as easily as casters I am sure, but not bad).

I am doing a single line from CO2 tank to the 4-Bank of regulators so I can adjust each individually. I have only kegged one beer so far (another one coming this weekend) so I don't have enough experience to say that there is truly a need for 4 regulators. I just figured I would start out that way so I didn't have to change later (if ever needed).

:mug:

Necessary - no. But neither is kegging :)

Before I added a fan into my kegerator, there was about a 5-7 degree difference top to bottom, the fridge was cycling more, and my tower wasn't cold. Adding the fan caused equal temperatures in the chamber and improved the dispensing (less foam because the tower was cooler).

I figured a good start would be 4 taps and I wanted to go the tower route rather than the collar route. I picked up the Freezer at Sears ($280ish) and then found a bunch of nice shiny bits to start the project.

What size or model freezer is this?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the info in the Title of the thread. It's a Kenmore 8.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer.

Is that the probe used to decide whether or not to turn on the cooling? It seems like by submersing it in water you're actually just slowing down the decision to cool or not, and would create larger temperature swings. By the time the water is cool enough, the air is even colder.

Would be interested if someone has compared temperature stability of the bottle of water while using a sensor in air vs in the bottle itself.

Love these black Kenmore's from Sears. Can you tell us what model number it is? 5 corneys is exactly what I need.

**edit** I see it in the title now. Nice job.

Is that the probe used to decide whether or not to turn on the cooling? It seems like by submersing it in water you're actually just slowing down the decision to cool or not, and would create larger temperature swings. By the time the water is cool enough, the air is even colder.

Would be interested if someone has compared temperature stability of the bottle of water while using a sensor in air vs in the bottle itself.

Keezers in the past have died early deaths since the controllers kept turning the compressor on for short, frequent runs - which is not what they were designed for. Immersing the probe in water is a low-tech way to make the controller run the compressor for longer periods.

For those of you thinking of doing this project there is one change I would recommend. Put the taps on the front with a drip tray. This is cheaper that the tap towers and you can do as many taps as you like. You'll also have a full table to use on top of the freezer chest. You will need to build a 2x4 collar around the top of your freezer chest since drilling into a freezer chest is ill advised.

IMO the fan is overkill. I've had a freezer chest with 8 kegs in it for years and never had any temperature issues.

I basically did the same with a 5.5 cubic foot freezer. One tap and holds two Cornelius kegs and small C02.
Used a Johnson Controls A19BAB-3C thermostat to convert the freezer to do refrigeration 38-40 degrees for $60. No wiring needed. The cheap freezers dont last. Im on my 3rd.

I like groundchucks set up better for something bigger..

For those of you thinking of doing this project there is one change I would recommend. Put the taps on the front with a drip tray. This is cheaper that the tap towers and you can do as many taps as you like. You'll also have a full table to use on top of the freezer chest. You will need to build a 2x4 collar around the top of your freezer chest since drilling into a freezer chest is ill advised.

IMO the fan is overkill. I've had a freezer chest with 8 kegs in it for years and never had any temperature issues.

Ya, but OP specifically said he did not want to do a collar. :confused:

This is an awesome build, sub'd for sure

Do you have issues with the towers heating up and causing foaming? The first kegerator I put together was much the same as yours, and I could never keep the beer lines cool and battled foaming constantly. Mine was in the garage though, in Florida, so that probably contributed to the problem. Since then, I've always done upright keezers where I can put faucet shanks through the door and this seems to largely eliminate the problem of keeping the towers cooled.

Also, do you have any idea as to how frequently the freezer is cycling, and/or how much power it's using? I've always used whatever cheap and/or free freezers I can find on Craigslist and am curious to see if there's much difference in efficiency vs a new one.

This is great! I wonder how SWMBO would take it, if I emptied our little chest freezer and turned it into a keezer. :D :mug::tank:

Something like this is definitely on the list of things to do once we finally upgrade to a house!

*SUB'D*

For those of you thinking of doing this project there is one change I would recommend. Put the taps on the front with a drip tray.

I would recommend for those of you thinking of a project like this but don't like the towers, use the search terms "collar", "coffin", "side by side", etc. ....... but then again, I guess it wouldn't be "This" project would it. :mug:

..... This is cheaper.

I would argue most people who brew their own beer aren't doing it to save money and those who are kegging their own beer DEFINATELY aren't trying to save money.

drilling into a freezer chest is ill advised.

Conjecture? :confused: It seems like most of the pre-made units you find at Costo, Sams, Best Buy, etc. all have holes in the top for towers.

Do you have issues with the towers heating up and causing foaming?

I only have experience with this first keg that is in it but so far I have had zero foam issues. It pours like a champ and the Scotch Ale that is in it now has really nice carbonation (even the first pour). The keezer is located in my basement with an ambient temp of about 65 degrees.

Also, do you have any idea as to how frequently the freezer is cycling, and/or how much power it's using?

To be honest, I really don't pay attention to how often it cycles. Also because it's in my basement it's hard for me to frequently observe anyhow. I don't have the probe in water like many have suggested and I generally have the same opinion as "Mattybe" from his post above. I know there are strong opinions on wet vs dry probes but hey it's my keezer so I going to live dangerously. If most folks like to keep em wet, more power to ya :mug:

Also ....... super neat fun fact: I have the probe hanging from the lid (see the original pics). It hangs all the way down to about 3" from the bottom of the freezer and I put 3 stainless washers (for weight) on the probe wire to help pull the probe back down when the lid is opened/closed. Pure genious if I do say so myself.:D

Do u guys put some kind of drain in...mine has a lot of condensation and has a puddle inside..have to wipe it up everyday

Do u guys put some kind of drain in...mine has a lot of condensation and has a puddle inside..have to wipe it up everyday

I just checked mine today and it's bone dry. I Generally don't open it much at all so maybe that also contributes to the moisture getting in? Or maybe there is another way moisture is getting in?

Back