keggle wort chillers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're going to have tough luck getting one of the short (25') chillers to fit all the way down into a keggle.

if you buy one, get one of the 50' models. I have a 50-foot-er that i bought from Northern brewer. Check pipe prices in your area, i got the one from N.B. cheaper than 50' of pipe would have cost.

Shirron plate chiller, especially if you have a spigot on your keggle.

shirron-chiller.jpg

One of my brewing buddies just bought the 5/10 from Morebeer for our first AG batch a few weeks back. We could have probably saved ~$30 making it ourselves, but we all agreed that whatever we made wouldn't have been as nice as this one.

We've made other stuff like an MLT and Keggle, where we saved LOTS of money over buying and have something that's very close in quality to whatever we would have bought. This just didn't seem to be as big of a savings, especially considering our time.

Come summertime, I'll probably try my hand at making a prechiller for it.

thanks for the info!!

I seen that more beer has a " Pre-Chiller - 25' x 1/2" with Brass Fittings "

This would be tall enough for the keggle!

any Ideals why it wouldnt work as a regular wort chiller?

Moonpile said:
One of my brewing buddies just bought the 5/10 from Morebeer for our first AG batch a few weeks back. We could have probably saved ~$30 making it ourselves, but we all agreed that whatever we made wouldn't have been as nice as this one.

We've made other stuff like an MLT and Keggle, where we saved LOTS of money over buying and have something that's very close in quality to whatever we would have bought. This just didn't seem to be as big of a savings, especially considering our time.

Come summertime, I'll probably try my hand at making a prechiller for it.

I second this IC. I have not used it yet as I am rebuilding my set up (and waiting for warmer weather). But I researched and shopped chillers during the fall. Wound up with this one as it offered versatility for both 5 and 10 gallon batches. :)

Fire_travels said:
thanks for the info!!

I seen that more beer has a " Pre-Chiller - 25' x 1/2" with Brass Fittings "

This would be tall enough for the keggle!

any Ideals why it wouldnt work as a regular wort chiller?

My gut feeling is that it probably would work for 5 gal batches. Then if you ever step up to 10 gal you'll already have a pre-chiller.

I bought an IC a few years ago. My boiler was only 8 gallon capacity. I used my IC in it all the time. Yeah, it wasn't completely submerged in the wort, but I could drop 5 gallons from 212* to 70* in about 10 - 15 minutes. That is where the big benefit comes, IMO.

I now made a Keggle, this weekend, and boiled my first in it, and the IC fit perfectly, and did it's job very nicely. Now the barrel temp, that's another thing. Got to get another welders glove. LOL

Latest posts

Back