Keggle Sightglass Volume Markings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo1069

Reaction score
I just finished putting together my newest brewtoy and I'm looking for some advice. I built a keggle, which I have to say turned out pretty amazing. I used all weldless fittings from barginfittings and they all seem to be working as advertised. Hoping to test it out in the next few days!

My dilemma is with the volume markings for the sightglass. Searching around this site it seems like most people use sharpie marker to mark the keg in gallon increments, then just remark it every few uses as it wears away. I really would like to figure out a more permanent, graceful solution. If nothing else, just to make it look nicer.

My initial thought was to use small metal house numbers and epoxy them onto the keg, however I can't find any that are smaller than about 2" that aren’t vinyl. (I'm assuming that vinyl would be a bad idea to attach to the side of hot stainless.) I'm thinking I wouldn't want anything bigger than an inch high, half an inch being ideal.

Has anyone done anything similar or have any ideas for me as to what to use?

Or should I stop being ADD about how it looks, use a sharpie, and get to brewing?

I used clear address labels and printed them on my printer at work. BobbyM also sells some very nice vinyl ones.

Glad to hear about your new keggle!

Use a sharpie and get to brewing. Who says it wears off? I used a sharpie, and it's not wearing at all. Why would it?

Here's the important part, bro: Do not use your ale pails (buckets) for measuring the gallon increments. Most of them are WAY off. Just buy a gallon jug of water. Pour, mark, fill, pour, mark, fill, etc.

I may eventually upgrade to the stickers, but for now I just don't care about something like stickers. Now get to brewing.

Thanks for all the advice! The BobbyM calibration numbers seem perfect.... I'll have to wait until they are back in stock though...

Does anyone know the dimentions of the poloycarbonate tube that he supplies with his kits? Watching the video it looked like a larger dimention than my 3/8 tube from barginfittings. I can't find the specs on his site. I wonder if those numbers would be too large for my sightglass?

EarthBound - Thanks for the advice on measuring out the gallons... I checked mine with a measuring cup, and it is indeed off.

i used a super permanent sharpie on mine and they lasted for ~ 1 yr before they started rubbing off. I now use the Bobby_Ms tubes and numbers. I love them, they are nearly indestructible and ive done about everything you can do to prove this other than directly heating them.

Oh, hello. I stopped selling the numbers as a standalone item until after the holidays. You'd be surprised how hard it is to keep up with all the vinyl prep work during this busy time. People were buying me out of stock on the numbers and I'd have to stay up until 1am weeding and backmasking more numbers to send kits out. I know, boo hoo. I'm just explaining why they are currently unavailable.

Answering other questions, I use 1/2" OD tubing but there's no reason my numbers wouldn't fit on a 3/8". You'd just want to move the left edge of the numbers way to the left. The arrows are about 9/16" wide. The circumference of 3/8" tubing is 1-1/8" so you should be able to keep them visible.

I have a metric ruler attached to my sight glass and have a volume calculator I put together that tells me how many mm I need for a given volume of liquid. I works really well and I would be happy to share my calculating tool if you are interested.

I have a metric ruler attached to my sight glass and have a volume calculator I put together that tells me how many mm I need for a given volume of liquid. I works really well and I would be happy to share my calculating tool if you are interested.

I like this idea. I keep thinking a piece of angle aluminum with etched grooves would be a very clean look and would attach easily to a keg.

A metal ruler is pre marked and easily calculated.

I just picked up a meter stick at Lowes. It is black print on yellow. I have a spread sheet that will tell me how many mm and cm I need for a given amount of water. It uses the radius to make the calculation. You enter the volume you need and it tells you how many mm/cm you want. What I like is I can just pour in water (it is my HLT) and go from there. I take a reading on the ruler, run my spread sheet figures and figure at what point I need to shut the drain. Easy and very accurate.

I like that idea alot! Did you attach the ruler to the keg or do you just hold it up to the sightglass? I would be interested in seeing that spreadsheet if you would be willing to share.... I do love Excel!

I weighed out each gallon and added to the kettle, marking each gallon on the site glass with tape. Then used a pipe cutter to scribe a mark for each gallon.

My hesitation with using a scale that you have to convert is that I suck at multitasking and would end up screwing up. It would be similar to calibrating my sight in liters knowing full when I can't relate and would have to convert each time.

My hesitation with using a scale that you have to convert is that I suck at multitasking and would end up screwing up. It would be similar to calibrating my sight in liters knowing full when I can't relate and would have to convert each time.

I'm with you on that. The less math in my head the better.

I could see doing the calculations and marking the scale on the kettle or edge of the ruler so it was permanent.

A metal yard stick for those who are metrically deficient like myself.

I like that idea alot! Did you attach the ruler to the keg or do you just hold it up to the sightglass? I would be interested in seeing that spreadsheet if you would be willing to share.... I do love Excel!

Send me a PM with an email address and I will get it to you as an attachment.

The spread sheet does all the math and so instead of having to know I need so many quarts, I have to know how many cm I need. It just swaps cm's for gallons. I run the spread sheet with all my recipe work and so when I get to brewday it is all ready and off I go. I actually find the scale to make things easier for me, especially now that I have my Cylinder Volume Calculator (tm):cross:

Latest posts

Back