keggle red hot on bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjotmo

Reaction score
This is my first time using my new keggle and I noticed the bottom of it getting red hot when I was trying to bring it to a boil. I turned the burner down but its still red. Is this normal?
2012-02-12_14-12-22_106.jpg

haha...that looks exactly like my turkey fryer burner from wal-mart that I use. those things are cheap....but has no issues bringing 12 gallons to boil.

Bought it at menards. Yeah it throws some heat :) this shouldn't be a problem right?? Its got me a little nervous.

You can turn the flame down a bit as a lot of the heat is being wasted off to the sides. One thing that really helps with cooling when you're ready to chill is wetting a rag with cold water and wiping the sides down or if you're outside, just spray some water on the skirt.

you might want to keep it in mind next time...you don't want to over caramelize the wort, and with a red hot boil kettle, you might have trouble preventing that. just watch it from here on out....call it inferno ale.

OK thanks. I will use my IC as usual. I was really just shocked to see it get red like that.

Well, you're cooking the skirt, which has no wort to keep it "cool". I agree with Bobby, you're probably wasting some gas doing that...

Cheers!

Back