Keggle conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgossman

Reaction score
So I've recently aquired 2 15gal kegs and done SOME reading but I haven't found the answer I'm loking for. Can you use a saber saw to cut the tops off? I don't have a die grinder or plasma cutter. Any other ideas???
Thanks!!!

You can generally find a 4" grinder for $10 to $15 at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. $1.98 for a DeWalt cutoff wheel at Lowes and you're in business.

You can generally find a 4" grinder for $10 to $15 at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. $1.98 for a DeWalt cutoff wheel at Lowes and you're in business.

Thats what I used.

DSC_0009.JPG

I finally got the top cut out of my keggle and now I am ready to install a ball valve. Is there a standard location for this valve as in, distance from the bottom of keggle? There are several really good tutorials out there for dip tubes but nothing about the recommended height of the hole....
Cheers!

If you don't really want/can't spend the money on a new angle grinder, go down to HD or Lowes and rent one for a couple of hours for $4 and $4 for the cut off wheel. That's what I did.

john

I finally got the top cut out of my keggle and now I am ready to install a ball valve. Is there a standard location for this valve as in, distance from the bottom of keggle? There are several really good tutorials out there for dip tubes but nothing about the recommended height of the hole....
Cheers!

As low as you can get it. Usually the hole is just above the bottom welded seam in the keg (where the skirt is welded on).

Ok, I just got a barrel and have someone who will cut the top out and weld in the fitting for a drain. My question is what do I do about a false bottom? I don't think a bazooka filter will come anywhere close to the bottom of the keg. Is it easier to just get an 11in plate of SS and drill tons of holes in it? If so, what size is recomended? 1/8 in?

Someone have some pics of a false bottom made for a keggle?

Thanks,
David

Ok, I just got a barrel and have someone who will cut the top out and weld in the fitting for a drain. My question is what do I do about a false bottom? I don't think a bazooka filter will come anywhere close to the bottom of the keg. Is it easier to just get an 11in plate of SS and drill tons of holes in it? If so, what size is recomended? 1/8 in?

Someone have some pics of a false bottom made for a keggle?

Thanks,
David
If not in a rush checkout https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/stainless-false-bottoms-any-size-65065/index10.html

He seems to be out of material but can make any size you need. Mine works great.

Back