Keggle conversion: check my work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0stm4n

Reaction score
I picked up a couple kegs and plan to convert them to brew pots. My uncle has a metal shop so I plan on taking them out there to cut them open and weld in some fittings. His shop is about an hour away out in the boonies so I wanted to check to make sure I had everything set before I head out there.

Here is what I'm looking at getting so far for each keg.

2x 1/2" Threaded NPT Coupling ( one for ball valve, one for thermometer)
1x 1/2" Threaded NPT Nipples
1x 1/2" Threaded NPT 1000 PSI 2-Piece Full Bore Ball Valve
1x 1/2" Threaded NPT Hose Nipple
1x BrewMometer NPT the TE224

That look like everything you would need to put together and make sure it doesn't leak? Assuming these parts need to be stainless steel anyone know of a cheaper place to order? I just found that place via google and they seemed to have everything.

Also one question I had is why the need for all stainless steel? Many of these fittings I could get brass for much cheaper from the local hardware store. Really I would imagine the only SS part I really need is the coupler to weld to the pot.

I thought about a sight glass too but I could add that later if needed.

Ever look at triclover stuff? Check it out; if you have that kind of resource available you should put some good stuff in there. You could sell the keg for 3 times what you paid if the welds are good.

Ever look at triclover stuff? Check it out; if you have that kind of resource available you should put some good stuff in there. You could sell the keg for 3 times what you paid if the welds are good.

I have to say I have never heard of it. I'm new to homebrewing. I did a google search and came up with this. It looks like you are meaning manufacturing the entire pieces? While I'm pretty sure his shop is capable of that, I just would have no clue how to get proper designs or implement it. It may be something I'll bring up with him the next time I see him.

I plan on attending a local homebrew club meeting Thursday and may ask around if there is any interest there. If there is I might pursue it further. For now I'm just hoping to modify these two kegs I have and hopefully sell one for enough to make mine free :). If I can do THAT, then the wife might let me invest more time/money into it.:mug:

Brass is perfectly fine for homebrew. There is a very large number of brewers on here who use it with no ill effects. I think you need to "pickle" brass before you use it. I don't know anything about it though. Maybe an expert will chime in on the brass.

As for the parts, check out Bargain Fittings.
$24 Stainless Ball Valve Assembly
$16 Brass Ball Valve Assembly
$23 Dip Tube Assembly
$24 Stainless Sight Glass/Thermometer Assembly (thermo not included)
$2.50 Half Coupler (If you go thermo and no site glass)
$26 Thermometers
$5 flat rate shipping

Cleaning Brass

Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution

From the How to Brew Appendix. I'd rather just spend a couple extra bucks on the stainless steel and not have to worry about the lead.

Another question I thought of. With a sight glass my impression is that it shows the liquid level by being open on both ends and allowing the water to go in the bottom and rise to the level of the liquid inside the kettle. Wouldn't this make it so the liquid in the sightglass never boils? It would then drain down into your boiled wort headed to the fermentor. Maybe I'm just nitpicking but that seems like a sanitation issue.

As for brass fitting if you can find them buy American, German, French, or English as they don't use lead in ther manufacturing, were as China who knows, if they put rat posion in our dogs food thay'll use lead if its cost affective.

Back