Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
Question: If you keg a batch and put 11 psi of co2 on and let it sit unrefridgerated and disconnected from co2 will it carbonate over a weeks time or do you need it constantly hooked to 11 psi?

It needs to be constantly hooked up, the CO2 you add will get absorbed by the beer so you need the regulator to keep a constant pressure. But 11 PSI at room temperature is going to yield almost no carbonation. If you want to carbonate at room temperature you need a much higher pressure (close to 30PSI):

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

It needs to be constantly hooked up, the CO2 you add will get absorbed by the beer so you need the regulator to keep a constant pressure. But 11 PSI at room temperature is going to yield almost no carbonation. If you want to carbonate at room temperature you need a much higher pressure (close to 30PSI):

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Yup! He is right!

Hi

Different styles of beer are done with different levels of carbonation. Some have almost none at all, others are loaded with CO2. A low pressure / room temperature approach will (as mentioned above) give you the "almost none" result.

What kind of beer is it?

Bob

It's a blonde ale. I have two co2 tanks but just one regulator. I just bought a third corney keg but my kegorator is full. I'd like to go ahead and carb this batch so I'll have it ready to go but until I buy another regulator I'll have to wait to make room in the kegorator. Oh well, the responses were what I suspected. Thanks for all the info folks!

Yeah, when you hook it up and then disconnect it you only have a little CO2 in the head space. Not enough to do the trick.

If you have a week, just prime it with sugar. Hit it with 20 psi to seat the lid and let it carbonate naturally.

Hi

Hit Craigs List and find a small chest freezer on the really cheap. Rig it with a $20 controller and dump it in the garage. Use it for all the "non keggerator" duties that come up. No need for taps, or fancy stuff so it can be really cheap.

Bob

if i was wanting to carb a keg at room temp.... then i wanted to ice it down in a cooler or trash can...what do you do then? after its carbed would you disconnect...chill then reconnect at serving pressure?

crazyseany said:
if i was wanting to carb a keg at room temp.... then i wanted to ice it down in a cooler or trash can...what do you do then? after its carbed would you disconnect...chill then reconnect at serving pressure?

Yep.

that is probably what all breweries do when selling their kegs, cept they carb theirs in huge vats at a time

Latest posts

Back