Kegging without a CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yipp

Reaction score
I hope someone out there can help me. I'm new to the whole brewing and kegging process and may have jumped the gun a little. I have purchased my 2 corny kegs but the downside is that I won't be getting my co2 tank and regulator until April 2nd and now I've run into a little problem….

I have a 5gal batch in my primary that was brewed on Feb 25th. It’s a very simple Blonde Ale. I was planning on keeping my beer in the primary for 10 - 14 days (around March 10) and then moving it to a secondary. Now I just realized that I would have it sitting in the secondary for over 3 weeks if I want to use my new co2 tank to carbonate it. Since I don't want to do that, what would you recommend?

I don't plan to bottle it as I want to use the corny kegs. I've read a little bit about using sugar to carbonate in the keg as I would for bottles. What is the best method for doing this?

Also, is there a way I could avoid the carboy secondary and go straight to the keg as a secondary? Would that change the way I naturally carbonate it? Anything special I would have to do while it sits until I get my co2 tank?

To add to all of this, I was going to separate this batch equally into 2 secondary’s. I was going to leave half of it alone and add some chile peppers to the other for an attempt at a chile beer. I may scrap this idea if it makes things too complicated.

I appreciate any feedback on any or all of this!

I'm not sure on the sugar amount, but you can carbonate naturally in a keg. Letting the beer sit in the primary/secondary for weeks won't hurt it though. Also, I only use a secondary when I'm dry hopping. Otherwise I cold crash the primary after 10+ days and keg it!

I use a little less then 1/3 cup to prime kegs. I air on the low side so it won't be over carbonated. But I also purge the keg with co2 after filling so there is no oxygen in the tank.

You can naturally carbonate in the keg, but you may not get a good enough seal without the CO2 tank. Normally, you hit the keg with 20+ psi to seat the lid properly. If that does not happen, you'll lose all the CO2 the yeast are producing.

Just put it in the keg with 1/3 cup sugar for priming and run the beer on top. In a day or so hit the pressure relief quickly to see if pressure is building. If there is then you are good, if not wait another day. If it is leaky and doesn't carbonate you really aren't out anything.
Sometimes putting the bail up about 30 degrees will seal the lid tighter as well.
Good Luck!

Since I won't have the CO2 tank for another 2 weeks after kegging, will this all be a waste?

Sorry since I'm new to all this, not sure what you mean by "Sometimes putting the bail up about 30 degrees will seal the lid tighter as well"?

The bail is the handle that you lift to take off the lid of the keg. If you lift it about 1/4 of the way, it is making the lid tighter. If you keep it there as the keg is carbing up, it will seal better. I hope that helps!

I know the general consensus is that a few weeks on the yeast cake is beneficial to the beer. For me it wiped out all the adjunct flavors. Since your're probably not using any I would leave it in the primary, cool as possible.

Latest posts

Back