kegging NEWBie. co2 and nitrogen?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic

Reaction score
:mug:I have not got my whole keg set up yet but i have been browsing around so today i just picked up from a gentlemen on craigslist a completely filled 20# co2 tank. He said he used it for guiness kegs and the tank is a co2 nitrogen blend does this sound right?. he said he used it for a few home brews his buddies made. Iam jusy curious will this be ok for me to use with various types of beers? either way im not at a loss because i paid 50 bucks for the filled tank and a dual gauge regulator. But i would like reinsurance that i can put this to good use

they call that beer gas. its used for a creamy head like on guiness. (you have to have a stout faucet for that effect.) im under the impression that mostly people carb with just co2 then once its carbed they dispense with the beer gas because the nitrogen doesnt dissolve well into beer,and plain co2 is cheaper. im pretty sure you can carb with straight beergas if you wanna, but i think you might have to make adjustments because you'll have a higher pressure to get the same volumes of co2 because some of the space is taken up by the nitro. (not sure how to adjust but im sure its on this board somewhere. any one else know?) but anyway. yes. you should be able to put this to good use!

:mug:p.s. your gonna love having a keg. its so nice when you offer someone a beer and tell them that you made it, as your pouring from a tap on your fridge. (and its super easy)

Back