Kegging in mini Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
In a hope to reduce some bottling I purchased a set of mini kegs, about 1.25 gal per keg. I processes the batch in the same manner as always, using corn sugar to carbonate. I filled 2 mini kegs and finished the batch in bottles. After a month or so the bottles finished nicely however, when I tapped the mini keg using the supplied CO2 source the beer came out all foam. You could drink it if you let it sit and the foam settle. Not what I expected.

Is there a difference in using these small kegs to priming for bottles. I wouldn't think there would be enough CO2 in the small canisters to carbonate the beer. What am I missing???

For a 5 gallon keg you use about half of the sugar as bottles. I'm sure it's the same for the littles. I assume you could purge the keg and let the beer release co2 into the now empty space for a day or two and your beer will become less carbonated. Using priming sugar in kegs is not terribly common but some people do it and can hopefully chime in.

We are missing some important variables. The temperature of the beer when serving, the length of your serving lines, and the pressure that the beer is being served at.

We are missing some important variables. The temperature of the beer when serving, the length of your serving lines, and the pressure that the beer is being served at.

agree with all this but I would be surprised if it wasnt just a function of using to much priming sugar in a keg.

Back