Kegging equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scrub new to me used kegs the first time I clean them- also replace all the O rings. After that, when one kicks, I pop the top that day or the next, rinse with hot tap water, then fill with hot homemade PBW for an overnight soak. Next day dump, rinse twice, fill with StarSani for at least a day before pushing into the next keg. Leave it pressurized till time to fill.

If a new from factory I just do the StarSani

So you ferment in the kegs?
I always wonder how that works. How do people ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg?
Ok bad choice of words.
Not necessarily ferment in them but sometimes I will let my beer dry out in my kegs if I keg them before they hit final gravity. (if you secondary in them you dont need the headspace.) other times my beers might sit for a while and when I crack open the kegs they sometimes have what looks like a krausen ring on the sides..Not always. I usually leave my kegs sit sealed until I need to use them at which time I open and clean them right before I fill them. They certainly dont just rinse clean. I wipe them out, put a gallon of starsan or two in them and shake them up and pressurize... dispense starsan out of both poppets and then dump. its then ready to go... never had an infection from doing this in 5 years

Back