Kegging Cider Questions ( Campden/Sorbates/Priming Sugar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsccw

Reaction score
I'm researching Cider Brewing and thinking about diving into my first batch.

A few questions that I have came up with after reading these forums a few weeks now are:

If you are planning to Keg your Cider, is there any need to add in Campden and sorbates?

Is the answer to my question above this?: Only if you want to prevent further fermentation and maybe preserve the Cider for a longer period of time.....

Also, is there a need to add Priming sugar to Cider if your Kegging it, if your planning to Carb it through the c02 tank? (Either force carb or set and leave it method?) What is the difference? Is it time?

I'm assuming if yo are kegging your refridgerating the cider in the keg . . . so no, no real reason to use Campden and sorbates the low temp will slow down/stop fermentation.

Nope no reason to prime you cider if you are going to force carb. Only reason I add anything when I keg is to back sweeten then it's 3 cans of concentrate to 1 keg of cider (thats for my taste)

I keg mine then put it under 12lbs of pressure and let it sit for a week or 2 b4 I expect it to be carbonated to the right amount.

I'm assuming if yo are kegging your refridgerating the cider in the keg . . . so no, no real reason to use Campden and sorbates the low temp will slow down/stop fermentation.

Nope no reason to prime you cider if you are going to force carb. Only reason I add anything when I keg is to back sweeten then it's 3 cans of concentrate to 1 keg of cider (thats for my taste)

I keg mine then put it under 12lbs of pressure and let it sit for a week or 2 b4 I expect it to be carbonated to the right amount.

Yes, I'll be going straight into a Keezer.

Pumbaa, that sounds awesome! thanks for the help! I can't wait to get started.

Silly question as a follow up, no reason to pasteurize either right? Since it's going into a Keezer?

Latest posts

Back