kegging before fermentaion has stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
Ok, so i have a beer now that siting at 1022, i really like the taste and after my last few strong beer it would be nice to have a casual 3.5% beer..
(i kind of know the answer but want to confirm)

I assume kegging will be safe as the kegs do have a good pressure rating + im not priming with more sugar... does this sound correct?

BUT

it should be safe to bottle after i carbonate with CO2?

cheers guys
:mug:

Ok, so i have a beer now that siting at 1022, i really like the taste and after my last few strong beer it would be nice to have a casual 3.5% beer..
(i kind of know the answer but want to confirm)

I assume kegging will be safe as the kegs do have a good pressure rating + im not priming with more sugar... does this sound correct?

Yep.

it should be safe to bottle after i carbonate with CO2?

Nope.

This was my first time using liquid yeast, and it has been in the fermenter 7 days now..this is the 1st time ive done a reading since i put it on...hopefully its stable!!!
i did bump up the temp slighty..
tonight will give me the answer to if i can bottle or not ;)

I have found that the remaining fermentables in a poorly attenuated batch will readily "ferment" in my lower intestines.

This was my first time using liquid yeast, and it has been in the fermenter 7 days now..this is the 1st time ive done a reading since i put it on...hopefully its stable!!!
i did bump up the temp slighty..
tonight will give me the answer to if i can bottle or not ;)

Only 7 days?

Even if it has hit a stable FG, the yeast still needs 3-4 days after that to clean up after themselves and eat some of their by-products.

I would not advise it. Like BigFloyd said If you don't allow the yeast to clean up the mess, it could get nasty.
The only thing I would say you could try is racking to a keg, adding an adjustable pressure release valve, and storing at cellar temps (I think the yeast could still work at 55ish).

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/bal...184_a_7c5289&gclid=CIrdkInb87sCFTEV7Aod-wcAqQ

That way you could sample it while it finishes fermenting & naturally carbonates, although you probably wont get very many pints per week off it, and carbonation is going to be slow, and possibly incomplete, since you are using the built up pressure to push samples through the liquid out dip tube.

Personally, I would just wait until its done fermenting, and has had a D-rest in the primary (or secondary).

"it should be safe to bottle after i carbonate with CO2? "

No! If your beer isn't done fermenting, it is NOT safe to bottle. Glass is not rated for any significant pressure, so you should never put beer in a bottle until you know it is done fermenting.

Kegs are a different story. They are safe up to pressures that would basically kill all the yeast with CO2 poisoning. Of course, if you keep it at serving temp, the yeast will be dormant and you won't have to worry about it anyway.

Latest posts

Back