Kegging an Imperial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopspop1176

Reaction score
Getting ready to transfer from my secondary into my Corny. (second batch kegged). First batch primed with 2.5 oz. priming sugar,pressurized to 12psi CO2,and let sit for a week at 40deg.F.,dispensed at 10 psi. Ended up a little foamy,but nice head. I would like a little more carbonation. My question is am I doing this right or should tweak the process?

I was just reading some threads on this because I (like a lot of people) just force carbonate and don't prime kegs with sugar. But I am interested on how to best cellar kegs waiting their turn.

Other people do obviously prime and let the beer condition while waiting for space in the fridge/keezer.

40F seems a bit cold for an ale yeast to condition the beer. (Some people say 4-5oz of priming sugar for 5 gallons at 65-70F, just like bottle conditioning in a big bottle)

If you are going to chill to 40F, I'd skip the sugar and just force carb. I get good head without priming with sugar. There are a lot of other factors to good head formation line length, line diameter, dispensing pressure.... not to mention recipe and brewing process.

Thanks. Chilled the keg down to 40F overnight,came home work this am. and pressurized to 11psi. I'll shake the keg a couple times a day and try some in 2 to 3 days.

Back