Kegging advice please - CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heisenbrewer

Reaction score
I've decided to switch to kegging my home brew, and the set up I reserved and about to pick up comes with a 2.5 lb CO2 tank, but I'm thinking that's rather small. Any advise on the best size of CO2 canister to get? What's most useful, is the bigger the better, any drawbacks to going to to 10 or even 20lbs?
Thank you.

The advantage to larger tanks is longer time between fills. A single 5 gal tank can last a long time, months carbing 3-4 kegs simultaneously in my experience. I have three 5 gal tanks so I have a spare and can fill two when the third is in use.

Larger tanks are harder to hide and I personally would use straps or something to keep the larger top heavy tanks from tipping over.

My CO2 supply does cylinder exchange. I bought the smallest size they work with - 10lbs.
$16.75 to swap for a full one.
They used to give me any old cylinder, some pretty grungy, until I brought in a some homebrew for their shop picnic one summer.
Now I always get the shiny ones!
10 lbs lasts about 18 kegs for me.

Back