Kegging a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemontbrew

Reaction score
Kegging my hefeweizen at 40 degrees using a factor of 4 for volumes of co2 needed and the chart says I need to carb at 28psi. So how many days do I need to carb the keg? I'd like to carb by the chart and not use the shortcuts.

Thanks.

The "set it and forget it" carb method means leaving it alone for a while until it carbs up. This usually takes a couple weeks, but sometimes it's faster. So just set the pressure to 28 and walk away.

But... serving at 28 PSI is going to be very difficult. You might need a healthy 20-25 feet of 3/16" ID tubing to prevent it from foaming up like crazy. I love a highly carbed hefe as much as the next guy, but I'd be hesitant to serve anywhere near that high. If you don't want to back down, you can lower the temperature a bit which will reduce the pressure. Even then, I'd worry about foam. You can also try some of the epoxy mixer inserts that have worked for others, that might be your best bet. You just drop them in the dip tube.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Latest posts

Back