Kegging a 1/2 batch & saving???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natron008

Reaction score
Hey all. I can only keg 3-gal of my 5 gallon batches. Is there any harm in kegging only half and just letting the second half sit in my carboy until the keg kicks (I don't anticipate this taking more than a month max)?

My biggest concern is leaving a half batch in the carboy.

No problems there, but you may want to transfer the half batch to a new carboy with less head space (to reduce oxygenation). Alternatively, you could fill the carboy with CO2 after you rack.

No problems there, but you may want to transfer the half batch to a new carboy with less head space (to reduce oxygenation). Alternatively, you could fill the carboy with after you rack.

That's what I was thinking, but is a smaller carboy really much different than my 6.5 gal with only 5 gallons of beer in it? There is already a pretty good amount of space as-is. In the future I may just split my batches as soon as the wort cools.

It also depends on how many buddies show up to brew the next batch - this keg could go quicker than expected!

That's what I was thinking, but is a smaller carboy really much different than my 6.5 gal with only 5 gallons of beer in it? There is already a pretty good amount of space as-is. In the future I may just split my batches as soon as the wort cools.

It also depends on how many buddies show up to brew the next batch - this keg could go quicker than expected!

Your 6.5 gal carboy filled with 5 gallons has co2 in the headspace because of the fermentation. When you remove the beer, that space will be filled with air. But since co2 is heavier than air, you should have a layer of co2 beneath the air. But if it were me, I'd rather have the entire headspace filled with co2 instead of just some of it.

Your 6.5 gal carboy filled with 5 gallons has co2 in the headspace because of the fermentation. When you remove the beer, that space will be filled with air. But since co2 is heavier than air, you should have a layer of co2 beneath the air. But if it were me, I'd rather have the entire headspace filled with co2 instead of just some of it.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks 3 gallon carboys will be my next investment.

Back