Kegged sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello
I have a 6 month old barrel aged sour cherry beer on tap. I would like to bottle this and store at room temp. Will this create a pottenial bottle bomb problemor is everything dead? Also have a porter that was barrel aged and started to sour so it was pulled and kegged, What about this one? Thanks

They were .1012 I believe going into the barrel. Never checked the gravity after the 6 months honestly

I try not to bottle anything above 1.004, for the worry of over carbonation. If you bottle it and then keep it cold it will drastically slow down the bugs from chewing through the leftover sugars. You could also just keep it stored warm and try a bottle every 3 or 4 weeks to make sure it's not becoming too carbonated. Cheers!

Bottle them and keep them chilled. I wouldn't risk bottling a 1.012 beer with Brett in it. It'll probably drop considerably.

The "sour" porter might not be a good one to store at room temp if you like how it tastes now. Unintentional infections tend to develop some flavors you aren't going to want if you let it keep going.

Pour some out, degass, and take a hydro reading. Be safe not lucky. Make sure there isn't anything left (or very little) for them to gobble up.

Back