Kegged Beer to soon, need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
Ok, I made a mistake and need some advise. I kegged my beer, fined it with gelatin and force carbed it @ 30psi for 36ish hours. After 3 days in the kegerator I pulled a pint, dumped the mud and then pulled another pint. The beer tastes green. I have it a few more days, still green. So, I just unhooked it from the gas and line out and put it back into the basement to warm up and condition for a few more weeks. Was this the right thing to do? Any tips, tricks, advise?

For the record:
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.012
I think I did 9lbs 2-row, .75lbs c40 or something similar
us-05
mash 154*
American Pale Ale (was aiming for a 1.055ish beer, had great efficiency on new set up).
US-05 at 60* for 2 weeks then kegged (got my schedule mixed up, wanted it to be at least 4 weeks old)

Was your gravity the same for 3 or more days? That determines if you were finished fermenting. Having a beer kegged in the 60's is probably the best way to condition an ale. I would give it another week and try it again.

Was your gravity the same for 3 or more days? That determines if you were finished fermenting. Having a beer kegged in the 60's is probably the best way to condition an ale. I would give it another week and try it again.

Thanks for the comment, I think it was fully attenuated. 1.012 for a 1.060 mashed at 154 is pretty dead on for my system and also 80% App Attenuation for US-05 is in the wheel house. I think I'm good on attenuation. My beer just tastes green, i.e. boozy and harsh, it just needs time to clean up.

I was looking for advise on conditioning after kegging and cold crashing, like it would be better to leave at 34* and let it continue to condition in kegerator, or it would be better to let it warm back up to ambient and condition and condition, or add some yeast to help the yeast clean up, etc. Usually, I can turn my APA's around in 2 weeks, but I think the cold spell pushed the ambient temp too low (57* at points during active ferm), and I got some new equipment and it improved my eff, so I got a 1.060 instead of 1.53ish.

I think you are going to get the same result warm or cold, time is the key. I usually keep all my finished beers cold but when the cooler are full some of the kegs sit at room temp until a spot opens in the fridge.

Back