Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitoca

Reaction score
I am getting ready to re-model the basement complete with an underbar kegerator. I would like it to be capable of both comercial kegs, or homebrew (I've never kegged before since I don't yet have the equipment.). Is there anything in particular to look out for on the kegerator to make sure it will accept a home keg? Also, how many Cornelious or similar kegs would I be able to fit into a fridge that is designed to fit a 1/2 barrel?

You will need some additional fittings to switch from sanke commercial kegs to corny homebrew kegs. Our own Dean Palmer put together a pretty nice parts list for doing just this. Link below...scroll down about halfway.

http://www.spearfishingspuc.org/dean/Kegerators.html

I think most commercial 1/2 keg kegerators will fit 3 or 4, 5 gal. cornies. You also have the option of a tall sanke 1/4 and maybe two cornies.

Great, thanks. A couple more questions. If I get a single tap tower, would it be possible to later retrofit to a multiple tower, assuming the kegerator sits under a granite counter? Also, is it hard to switch the fittings back & forth between the sanke & cornys?

I would rethink using a typical 1/2 barrel kegerator. You will be limited on how many beers you could serve. Most only have a single tap tower and room for one 1/2 barrel or two cornies. I would recomend putting a chest freezer (the bigger the better) behind the bar wall and running the lines through the wall. You could then have multiple tap handles in the wall or run it through the wall into your cabinets and up through the counter (which is what I did). I have a three tap tower and wish I had gone bigger, I have four different beers in my fridge and one in the fermenter now. You could probably have this setup for close to the same price as a kegerator. Just my thought, good luck with your decision.

Back