Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
I am looking to either buy a kegerator or build one. Not sure what way to go? Cost vs. quality? If its best to buy a kegerator what ones are good? If its best to build any tutorials? Im tired of bottling and would like to do more but smaller batches.

I built my keezer from a 5.5cu ft deep freeze. I love it. Have commercial 1/4 or 1/6 barrels in it now. But have my first brew in the fermenter now. I enjoyed building mine and it was significantly cheaper than the store bought ones. I have a thread in the keezer thread about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I built my keezer from a 7ish cu ft chest freezer and it was one of the best homebrew related decisions I've ever made. Building one is a cinch if you're at all handy. It took me maybe two days, most of which time I was waiting for things like glue and stain to dry. There are a ton of great builds on here and on other sites for you to get ideas from. I built mine with only one tap to start with and added kegs and taps over time which helped make a four keg system very affordable since I didn't have to buy all the parts at once.

-ben

I built mine from a classic 1950s fridge.

I recommend the drop in keyzer. And to build a kegerator.

It's cheaper and you will ened up needing to know how to service the thing anyways... if only to give it a deep clean from time to time.

I am looking to either buy a kegerator or build one. Not sure what way to go? Cost vs. quality? If its best to buy a kegerator what ones are good? If its best to build any tutorials? Im tired of bottling and would like to do more but smaller batches.
I built mine using a 14.5 cu.ft chest freezer. All of the fittings for 3 taps & the 4-way manifold cost me about $280-300, the Freezer was $380, and the wood was a couple more bucks. If you have the necessary tools, I'd say do it, otherwise if you have to buy tools / drills it may not be worth it. A 3-tap commercial kegerator runs around $700-850; I've got room to easily expand to 8 kegs / taps if needed.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

I used this video, worked like a charm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im looking to build a kegerator not a keezer. I don't have room for a keezer. I plan to use corny kegs and not sure locking mech yet. What is the best mini fridge to use?

Latest posts

Back