Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
hi im talking the misses into lettting me buy one hopefully..lol, can anybody point me in the right direction, im really not sure on what to buy single double ect also if the Kegerator comes with all the stuff i will need ect.. bear in mind i live in uk thanks.

I'm not sure who sells kegerators in the UK so can't help you there but hopefully I can give you some tips.

What type of beer are you producing? and what type of volume?

Before getting mine I was looking at getting corny kegs (19l soda kegs) But realised quickly the volumes I am making (23 litres at a time) would give me leftovers I would need to bottle which I don't want to do at all which is why I wanted a kegerator in the first place.

So I went with a Sanke type and have a 58l and 30l keg (need new valves but nearly ready to go)

So what i'm trying to say is, it depends what you want.

Some people use 2 taps in regular sized fridges and 2 corny kegs for 2 different beers. If you only want 1 type of beer/cider whatever. then you may aswell go with a 1 tap.

Keg type/size will really depend on what you are brewing, if you brew small batches from scratch then go with corny kegs. If you buy the tins of malt or boxes of wort then you will probably be best off with bigger sanke kegs.

Don't be scared of the sanke keg either, they are really easy to clean I don't know why people say otherwise. Although compared to a corny they are a little more trickier and ofcourse heavier.

Also, keg checklist:

CO2 tanks (definately needed)

Regulator (depends on how many kegs and what you are using) For example if you want to use 2 corny kegs you will probably need a different regulator than if you are using 1 if it is a kegerator and not a kit this should be done already to match the tap setup.

Pipe, if you buy a kegerator that is already made this "should" already be done for you.

Type of keg is a big one, you need to figure that one out for yourself depending on what you need (or what you can get hold of). I believe most kegerators come with Sanke fittings but they can be changed.

Hope that helps! :)

hi ty for post i normally brew 2 5 gallons batchs at a time, at the moment im just experimenting with different types of beer,so not sure about 1 tap or 2, i l aways buy the kits as it easier for me. it seems really hard to get hold of one in the uk :(

hi ty for post i normally brew 2 5 gallons batchs at a time, at the moment im just experimenting with different types of beer,so not sure about 1 tap or 2, i l aways buy the kits as it easier for me. it seems really hard to get hold of one in the uk :(

Keg works might be able to help you out. Not sure what the shipping prices would be though. It does say they do international orders though.

http://www.kegworks.com/home.php

I would also try ebay, and search the free ads like friday ad. advantage etc and see if you can find one second hand.

The other alternative might be do buy a conversion kit and make one yourself.

I couldn't see much on google for buying kegerators in the UK.

Have you given a thought to just making your own? I had purchased one earlier this year and found that I quickly outgrew it as I started producing more beer and had no way of expanding it :(

I am by no means a wood worker or even a crafty person and still managed to make my new one in about 4 hours once I had the chest freezer and wood collected

All materials included in the build cost me about 450.00 (I already had the kegs and gas tank) but still cheaper than purchasing a new prebuilt unit with less capacity

My Keezer

ok i have been looking about gonna give it a try and make one.... i know i need a fridge, kegerator convertion kit ect.. but one think im not sure on is the kegging part where do u buy the kegs ive been looking at a Sankey Keg conector. im a bit lost on this part sorry for noobish questions

ok i have been looking about gonna give it a try and make one.... i know i need a fridge, kegerator convertion kit ect.. but one think im not sure on is the kegging part where do u buy the kegs ive been looking at a Sankey Keg conector. im a bit lost on this part sorry for noobish questions

Kegs can be hard to come by. Have a search on google and see what comes up.

Your local pub might be able to help you out, or you might be able to buy a full keg from somewhere and use that.

Do the research and make sure you can get kegs first and what type of kegs you can get. Nothing worse than having a kegerator ready to go and nothing to put in it :)

If you are making 2.5 gallon batches, you may want to look at either 3 gallon corny kegs or 5 gallon at most. They are easier to clean and fill than sankey kegs. I get most of mine online through want adds that I place on Craigslist for pretty cheap...just make sure they hold pressure well

As for the rest of the setup, that would depend on what type of fridge you are going with...but you will need:

- faucet and shank assemblies (just depends on how many you want to serve and what you have room for)
- Co2 tank (a 5lb bottle will push approx 5-6 15.5 gallon kegs as long as you arent using it to force carb...mine has lasted over 6 months now)
- Regulator for Co2 tank (dual gauge preferably)
- Beverage and gas line
- Disconnects for the kegs (just depends on if you go with ball or pin lock)

Back