Kegerator project questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Ok so my girlfriend's given me the ok to build a kegerator and I've got some deffinate beginner questions.

Where do I begin?

I'm thinking about a 7-9cu chest freezer or the sanyo 4912 that everyone is talking about...

My main question is what parts do I need and whats a good source for them? Is there a pretty straight forward kit that has what I need to handle two corny kegs?

I've been looking at www.austinhomebrew.com and i'm pretty confused..

Thanks guys I apprechiate it

hornet, searching this forum for "sanyo 4912" will yield you all the result you need.....no purpose in re-typing them.

SH - what is this.....Massachusetts revival day?!?!? First a lurker from Saugus, then one from North Attleborough, now "Western" MA? You are working The Bird's side of the street, my man.:D

Yea we need to represent. I am down the river from Birdman, near Spfld. Great fourm, I have already learned some very good tips.:ban:

I just finished with my kegorator. *pats self on the back* I must say I'm a bit impressed with myself. I ordered all my parts from www.beveragefactory.com. They had the best prices from any other google search result. Past that, I used an old full size refrigerator from my roommate's office, and used the "homebrew customized conversion kit" on beverage factory to order three chrome taps, shanks, 15 feet of beer line, and connectors. I now have a fully functional, tipple tap kegorator with a 13'' drip tray with drain, and a 10lb CO2 tank to power my three 5 gal soda kegs. > ) Of course I had to repaint it as well since brownish orange simply will not do for a kegorator of this caliber. Including the cost of the paint job and shipping, my grand total was $386 Hopefully I will have pics to post soon. :mug:

P.S. Check out http://www.craigerator.com/ for some sick ideas on a new kegorator project. This man is a genius and a true artist. They should have a new show on MTV called "Pimp My Fridge" :rockin:

The chest freezer will hold more cornies, of course, and you have more options running the lines through the lid (no coils) . The down sides, at first look, are having to lift the cornies over the edge and you have to build a tower of some sort. I'm thinking about a 7 cu.ft to replace my old kegger.

I bought a kenmore elite 4.9 cuft fridge from Sears. I saw you can get an all black model for $179 still.. i paid another $20 for a chrome color front. Then I bought a two tap tower from the beverage factory via their ebay posting which brought a discount... so even if you order over the phone from them mention you saw them on ebay because that is how they knew to give me a discount.

I have an old upright freezer that will fit at least 4 cornies but I'm seriously thinking of trading up to a more efficient (probably) chest freezer from Lowes. You can build a simple collar between the chest and the top and put your shanks through that. I'm guessing that a 10 or 15lb CO2 bottle would fit on the compressor hump. Too bad I have a 20lb.

Even if you only plan on running 2 taps, you probably want to get a fridge/freezer that will hold 4 or more cornies so you can cold condition newer batches under pressure.

K, here it is as promised. A pic of the finished product, less the hose for the trip dray drain, and the lines from keg to shank etc. I took them out to avoid clutter.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back